Critique My 2 Year Old AQHA Gelding

Discussion in 'Critique My Horse' started by Alyssa Hughes, May 18, 2018.

1. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Senior Member+

He is a 2 year old gelding. I am still waiting to get my papers back from AQHA, but his sire is Playboys EZ Feature (Playboys Ez Feature Quarter Horse) and his dam is FV Bailey Bayou Lady (Fv Bailey Bayou Lady Quarter Horse) (Lauing Ranch). Let me know your honest opinions. He is very cowy. He is my prospect for either barrel racing or cutting. If you think he is standing funny it's because he has a healing abscess in his front right hoof.
    DSCN2308.JPG DSCN2310.JPG DSCN2312.JPG DSCN2314.JPG DSCN2316.JPG DSCN2317.JPG

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  2. spec

spec Full Member

Not good photos but think he’s put together fine! I like his front end better than his back end. He’s post legged in the back. Angles are good elsewhere though. Proportions are fine, hard to tell from photos but I think he has a big ol noggin. I’d say build wise he is more suitable for barrel racing than cutting. I’m no expert but the ones I see have a lot more hip than he’s got. Any horse with cow sense can cut for fun though. When you start him keep his topline in mind, with the way he holds his head I can tell he’s gonna struggle with an ewe neck. Don’t ride him like most barrel racers do or he’ll end up with an ugly one. Overall I think he should be a good prospect for a fun horse.

Alyssa Hughes likes this.
  3. Alyssa Hughes

What do you think about his breeding? The pictures are junk, but they are the best I can do for now. I'll update them when I can. My good camera is not here currently...

4. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I wouldn't get your hopes up for him to be a cutter, or at least a competitive cutter. Cutting horses these days are very specifically bred with certain lines. You could do some team sorting with him likely. Plus cutting training is very expensive and takes 2 years minimum.

Interesting to see what color he'll be each year though, he's a cutie!!

5. Alyssa Hughes

I am leaning towards barrel racing with him. He gets to be a pretty light gray in summer.

endurgirl likes this.
  6. spec

spec Full Member

I don’t specifically recognize any of his recent ancestors, but he’s definitely ranch bred. I admit I’m not the best with this side of the western horses. Bloodlines are only a piece of the puzzle to what discipline a horse will excel at though.

7. Alyssa Hughes

Very, very true.

8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Only thing I notice is he's slightly back at the knee and seems to be favoring his off front leg. Need conformation photos tbh, see the sticky at the top of the board for some great tips.

Edited added - ahh, he's healing an access. Didn't read before looking at him.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  9. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

I like him. He will be cute when he is filled out and grown up. Regarding your goals, I think you can do anything with a horse if they enjoy it but their level of success may vary.

10. Alyssa Hughes

I will definitely take new ones when I have my good camera. Thank you for the tip!