Critique for a TB Mare

Discussion in 'Critique My Horse' started by maddielj97, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

Just out of curiosity, why would you want an OTTB for western riding on trails and pleasure? Why not a nice stock horse who is built for western riding? (Keep in mind I really don't care what you pick...just looking to see your train of thought on this. I've done the OTTB thing, as well as stock horses and even paso finos, so I'm not judging)

2. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

The Western Thoroughbred

3. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

As I mentioned, I wasn't looking for reasons why you'd ride an OTTB western....heck, I did. That's not what I'm wondering. I'm just curious why the OP is looking for one to meet her goals. Perhaps this horse is perfect for her. Perhaps there is a different horse (OTTB or something else) out there that would suit her better. That's all I was asking...trying to get a better idea of what she's looking for.

manesntails likes this.
  4. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

I find the topic of "thoroughbreds aren't for western riding" to be very interesting. Thoroughbreds have been a huge influence and continue to influence Quarter horses. If you read the description on each photo, this page did a poll of whether or not people thought they were AQHA or TB. Most people thought they were AQHA but they are all Thoroughbreds.

The Western Thoroughbred

Now this has very little to do with the horse in the OP. She may or may not be a good trail or "western" horse. But to immediately dismiss her ability simply because she is a TB is a mistake.

mooselady likes this.
  5. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

Sorry, but I don't think I ever said "Thoroughbreds aren't for western riding". In fact, I stated I rode my OTTB western. But alas, you seem like you're trying to prove a point when I was just curious why the OP liked THIS horse for her goals. Anyways, I digress and to avoid diverting this thread off in a direction I did not intend for it to go, I shall stop commenting.

6. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Its okay. I'm not trying to pick on you. I did read your post a little differently than you intended. No worries. I just find the topic interesting. Thats all :)

ginster likes this.
  7. zomer

zomer Senior Member

Agree with others on her faults, she doesn't float my personal boat. There are many OTTB's that do, so if you are set on a TB, I'd keep looking for one with deeper heartgirth and more bone to hold up for trails. I don't quite understand why people think that trail horses can skimp on confo issues, they are just as prone to injury and require the same level of soundness/conformation as other disciplines.

bellalou and manesntails like this.
  8. palogal

palogal Senior Member

Her legs are not straight. That would be a no go for me. She will be very able to injure herself because her legs are wonky. She's very narrow but that's a TB thing, especially in young ones. That doesn't bother me as much as her knees and her teeny tiny feet.

manesntails likes this.
  9. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

I thought Henry was narrow--holy cow this lady would be like riding a string bean.

manesntails likes this.
  10. palogal

palogal Senior Member

Riding a string bean..., I’m gonna file that away for later use :)

Mcdreamer likes this.