1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Critique Barrel Run?

Discussion in 'Critique My Horse' started by JustHorsePlay, Apr 14, 2017.

1. JustHorsePlay

JustHorsePlay Senior Member

Diamond and I are focusing on barrels this year. I've retired him as an all-around horse as he's been my everything horse for the past six years. I also want to see how far he may be able to go with barrels. This is the first year we've actually done them seriously. I've gone to two week long barrel clinics with him, and get some lessons with a trainer. This year I'm focusing on just patterning him and getting him use to the barrel life. I'm not really pushing him at all, jut trying to get a nice pattern and to build up his confidence (and mine:) ) This is from just a local NBHA here in SC. Right now, he usually runs top of the 4d or bottom of the 3d. We've been to a few out of state barrel races as well, and so far, has handled life on the road very well! He's an older guy but that what I need right now to get a foot in the barrel racing world! And he may have some potential as well. At least, we can work up to the 3d. Right now, we've placed a lot in the 4d at local NBHA, but also the big races as well (No Bull).

Anyway here's our run. Please critique anything, especially about myself! I want to help him out as much as I can. We did go past the first, but he tried his best to correct himself. I think I'm just cueing and sitting a little too late. But let me know what you think!

2. JustHorsePlay

3. Nitro17

Nitro17 Full Member

I would work on some drills that deal with rate. So if you can get him more collected near the barrel he can really drive and push with his hind end. He also wouldn't run past the barrel.He seemed a little front heavy in his turns, but it could just be the camera angle. Overall looks good. Also try drilling with one barrel to get closer and tighter turns , his back end just kind of flailed out. Lol i don't know how to describe it . But it looked pretty good. Hopefully this will help!!

4. SparkleDust

SparkleDust Senior Member

You look really good! I agree on drills, drills, drills. Change them up so he doesn't get bored and don't do them *every* time you ride, but definitely start doing a lot of drills.

I like the barrel square to help with rating. Set up barrels in a square, trot him into the square and pick a barrel to circle, lope when leaving the barrel. Enter the square from another side, break into the trot before you enter the square, and try again.

He'd really benefit from learning how to turn tighter. Does he know how to do a reining spin? It doesn't have to be perfect, or even very fast, but my barrel horses all know how to do it. It really helps them to make a tight turn around the barrel.

Rollbacks also help. Really, just help him move those shoulders out of the way.

You both look very good. How old is he?

5. JustHorsePlay

Ok Thank you! He knows how to turn or yield on the hind end. I wouldn't call it a reining spin as he just walks it. He knows the basics of it, but I've never pushed him to actually really start spinning. :) We do roll backs sometimes but I feel like they encourage him to drop his shoulder and flatten. so we don't do them very much. He turned 15 this year. So he's older, but he's athletic and good natured. He was actually my jumper for most of the years I've owned him, but circumstances make it hard to go to jumper shows. However, barrel races are plenty! So thus the slight change. :) He and I have only been running consistently for this year, so I think a lot of things have to do with me.