Cringe-worthy/eye-covering-causing/gasp of horror equitation pics

Discussion in 'Forum Contests' started by BuddyBoyOTTB, Dec 9, 2014.

1. EmbodiedSpirit

EmbodiedSpirit Full Member

Hmm... I feel I'd be posting my entire folder of photos of me riding. I spent my first few years of riding basically winging it, followed by 2 years of very basic lessons in a run down old trekking center come riding school, and then didn't take another lesson in nearly 8 years because I was a poor kid, then unemployed and this is the first year I've been financially secure enough to get an instructor. This was one of the photos that prompted me to start lessons again. Thanks, mostly, to some people on this board actually.
    [​IMG]

I'd like to think I've improved a bit. This was from our 8th lesson, last week. We've still got a **** of a way to go before I'm any kind of decent and you could still call this bad eq, but the ones from the session above... I already look back and want to file them in the recycle bin. Of course, I won't. I want a reminder of where I've come from in a few years time.
    [​IMG]
    My issues all have a common link in tension. Jammed down heels, hovering in the seat, locked elbows because I'm not keen on the feel of contact and thus pitch forward to "release" it... I'm getting there though. Trot is my better pace. My instructor is also super patient and doesn't just stand there yelling "shoulders back". She knows it'll take a while for muscle memory to adjust. I could honestly post so many bad photos of my riding it's slightly depressing, especially when I was a somewhat decent rider when I was having lessons back in my teens. Like everyone has that "one" photo and I'm just here with folders full of them. Haha.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    rugbygirl and (deleted member) like this.
  2. MissCita

MissCita Senior Member

Oh oh I can play this!! First jumping show for my new horse in like.. Probably 6 years. He woke up a lot more then expected and decided to have iron jaw, wasn't listening to me for the love of Sam, he found out his auto pilot isn't very good. Almost ate the dirt. Smartened right up, listened to mom and jumped around beautifully twice more afterwards!

Attached Files:

Alsosusieq2 and Winchester like this.
  3. karanickel13

karanickel13 Senior Member

Oh, I found another goodie from show season...this time, the same jump from two different angles! Aren't we lucky?! :charge:

And yes, were were okay. Although my coach still cannot figure out how my horse jumped clean and then landed properly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Winchester likes this.
  4. Ayedeas

Ayedeas Senior Member

Oh gosh yes. All of my photos are of bad EQ. Unfortunately mum didn't get pictures of my most recent lessons in which my EQ has improved, but uh...

Have basically my whole riding history ;P (I'm joking, I ride better I promise!!)

Both of these were about 7 years ago

[​IMG]

Pinching at the knees, no contact in the lower leg at all, body shifted forward, pushing on neck, and stirrups too long (along with other things) - PERFECT EQ 10/10! ;P

[​IMG]
    It's hard to see here, but I'm um... I'm not IN the saddle... I'm on it. Also - invisible front leg???

Here's an outline to show better. I did a full lap like this because my pants got stuck on the cantle and I couldn't reach the stirrups to stand up :rolleyez:

[​IMG]

5. LadyDulcinea

LadyDulcinea Senior Member

Oh, there were so many in my albums to pick from! This ride stands out as by far my worst yet though. Fortunately neither the horse nor I were injured...or anyone else there.
    Here's the brief back story. A lady that I knew had this Arab mare (pictured) who was great on trails and could jump stadium jumps with relative ease and grace...usually. I would exercise her horses at her house sometimes and one day she said that she had set up an eventing lesson for me and her mare. It was a group lesson with a local eventing competitor/trainer. Super. I looked at it as a lesson where I would get some good feedback and come home with a list of things to work on. Wrong. The "trainer" never gave one ounce of criticism or even a "hey, next time do it this way so you don't fall off again". All she said after every jump was "great job! On to the next one!". I lost track of how many times I fell off this horse that day. Over her head when she refused jumps, off over her shoulder when she stopped at the jump to eat the straw bale...off the back of her when she landed on a jump. Oh the list goes on. Needless to say, jumping was not my strong suit then, nor is it today, though I have improved with the help of a trainer that at least tells me what I am doing wrong.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2015
  6. fennecfox

fennecfox Senior Member

"What is turning?!?!?! Ahhhh!"

100% rider error on an exuberant baby. Oops :eek:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. mygurlDestiny

mygurlDestiny Full Member

Not quite sure what was happening in this picture :rolleyes: this was about 5 years ago.... all I remember was it was hot!
    [​IMG]

8. tata77

tata77 Senior Member

This was actually such a great weekend.
    [​IMG]

Ayedeas likes this.
  9. AllyMae

AllyMae Senior Member

I can't believe I'm about to share these lol! This was my very first horse, Deacon, and I on our first away from home trail ride. My parents have always been the type to put off stuff...and put off stuff...so I didn't have proper riding attire, either. I actually didn't have riding clothes until I was about 13 and saved up enough money to buy a pair of used paddock boots. Enjoy!

Attached Files:

10. Winchester

Winchester Senior Member

I'm almost in tears :rofl: Thank you so much for this.

Ayedeas likes this.