1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Crimped oats vs rolled oats?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by LateBloomer, Jul 21, 2007.

1. LateBloomer

LateBloomer Senior Member

Is there a difference?

2. DressageGirl22

DressageGirl22 Senior Member

I have heard that oats must be crimped for the horses to get nutrition, otherwise they just go through system. Tell me if I am wrong?

3. Sue B

Sue B Senior Member+

As near as I can tell...there is no difference...crimping is rolling. There are two different mehtods of rolling - thick and thin rolled. The thicker looks to me like a standard rolled oat...the thin looks more like what I would call crimped.

Rolling/crimping is noted by some authors to be a way to oxidize certain chemicals within the grain. This oxidation process is supposed to enhance flavor...but otherwise has not additional nutritional value.

In general, when something like grains/seeds go through the digestive process, the bulk of the nutrients are "sucked" out. However, when grain/seed hulls are broken, many of the nutrients begin a continous process of decline.

4. LateBloomer

LateBloomer Senior Member

So what are "groats"? :blushing: I am a little confused. Are they another name for crimped oats?

5. Sue B

Sue B Senior Member+

Groats are hulled and crushed grains...they can be oats, wheat, barley or buckwheat....but I think they are mot typically oats.