Creepy Horse Stories?

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by savethewhaley, Mar 20, 2017.

1. savethewhaley

savethewhaley Senior Member

I have no idea if this is an old post or has already been done, but I love these and was wondering if anyone had any creepy barn stories or anything.
    Thought I would create a thread for people to share. If you don't believe in ghosts or whatnot, you can just share odd experiences you've had at the barn...

Where I boarded my childhood horse, there was a small trail that went out to a large open field that we could ride/train on. Off to the side of the trail, there was a graveyard with several large stones or memorials. My childhood horse would not pass that graveyard, ever. I spent at least a year trying to get him to go by it: every day I would take him out and try to get him to come around it. He would not. Eventually I gave up and made a new trail through the woods so that I could get to the field. In hindsight, my training theories were probably not great, and I may have been able to get him to go now, but I am not convinced.

2. apndi

apndi Senior Member

I only have one that I can remember because it only happened last weekend. Apollo was ill and in the early stages we suspected colic. I got off work and drove there around 8 pm, planning on possibly spending the night but at least watch him for a few hours. It was pitch black out there, the middle of nowhere. His pasture is set a bit apart from all the other pastures, so I was far away from all the other lights of the barn.

I watched him outside for a while and I kept hearing strange sounds coming from the woods. At one point I thought I heard a man screaming? The horses didn't seem concerned so I didn't worry too much about it. But one thing about me--I hate the woods. I mean they're pretty, cool creatures in them, but you are NOT making me go near them at night. There are some woods right next to their pasture and it was setting me on edge.

It was mid 30s that night and the cold was getting to me. It was around 11 pm, I figured I would go warm up in the truck (I didn't turn it on so I wouldn't waste gas, just wanted to get out of the wind). So I went and sat in the truck and a couple minutes passed. Suddenly apollo's head flew up and he stared at the truck, and in the same moment I heard something tapping on one of the windows. I was flipping out, scrambling to lock the doors, cowering in my seat. At this point apollo has turned around so that he's facing the truck and his head is high. The tapping started again, just a few taps, and didn't come back. I waited shaking for a few minutes, and then I turned the truck on and booked it out of there. Lmao. Read too many stories on Reddit let's not meet and no sleep to hang around much longer!

3. Compadre

Compadre Senior Member

When Luke cut his shoulder open, it was Saturday morning and I was still in my PJs. Hadn't even had my coffee yet. I had a feeling to go out to the barn and check on my horses, and there he stood calm as a rock, with an eight inch slice on his chest. Never found what he cut it on, but when I got there it was so fresh that the blood hadn't even started to trickle down from the cut.

Nu5ha, savethewhaley and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. Quarter Girl

Quarter Girl Full Member

Lol this should be a interesting thread...

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. clara17

clara17 Senior Member

subbing

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. clara17

clara17 Senior Member

oh man I totally just remembered something that happened to me years and years ago. so I must have been around twelve when this happened. we had an indoor arena and then along the outside of the arena wall there were covered cross ties in a row so horses stood nose to butt in a line. well I'm leading a mare named honey towards the cross ties where i hear a voice clear as day say "tie her in the arena, not the cross ties". At first I ignored it and kept walking towards the cross ties when I heard it again but firmer. at this point I turn around and ask my friend why she wants me to tie up in the arena and my friend looks at me like I'm insane and says she didn't say anything. I just go in the arena and tie up honey. so I groom her and when I am tightening the girth I am shoulder to shoulder to her tightening it when out of nowhere I swear i feel a hand on my shoulder pulling me back. so at this point I'm falling away from honey and land a good 10 feet away from her on my back and I sit up and honey is on her side right where I had been standing. she had pulled back and threw herself towards me when I tightened the girth and lost her balance. of course my friends run in to undo the quick release knot and check honey out. meanwhile I'm so confused because I totally felt someone pull me back but everyone else was nowhere near me when she fell. i think it was a guardian angel.

7. clara17

clara17 Senior Member

was Apollo ok?

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. foxtrot

foxtrot Senior Member

Mine's super depressing so I apologize in advance.

So I got 2 horses, they had just had their shots and didn't need new shots or vet care til a year later. I can give my own shots, but specifically wanted to have a vet come out and give them so that the vet would know where I live in the event of an emergency (my property can be tough to find).

So, the vet came out in the morning and gave them their shots.

Four hours later I had to have the vet come back out to euth one of them because he broke his leg.

I can't help but wonder if I had a premonition about all that, like... it was just in my mind for months "I need a vet to know where I live" and then the vet has to come back for an emergency on the exact same day he first came out.

What are the odds?

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. apndi

apndi Senior Member

He's fine. It ended up not being colic, he had eaten a seed pod from a poisonous plant. It's still working its way out of his system but he's almost back to normal and the vet said he'll be fine!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Oh man, that was pretty darn creepy. At least to me-!!