Crazy internet advice...

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by reicheru, Feb 9, 2019.

1. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

And it's not just honey. Its raw, medical grade manuka honey. Dont go slathering honey you put in your tea on a wound, the sugar ins it would cause crazy bacteria

2. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Horse, not human lol

3. turnnburnlynx

turnnburnlynx Senior Member

I saw a good one and it made me laugh -

For cribbing, put down pop rocks in the area that gets chewed.

I find this so funny because lynx use to love pop rocks. If I had some he would gobble them up, and when they started popping he would to the flehmen response until they stopped

Binca, Alsosusieq2 and ginster like this.
  4. ginster

ginster Senior Member

That's what I wanted to know: do they use transmission fluid on their own (human) injuries as well? Since they swear by it...

5. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

The sugar in honey is part of what makes it antibacterial. The sugar creates a hypertonic environment that dehydrates small organisms like bacteria. There's also peroxide and other enzymes, but it's hypertonic nature is a big part.

Alsosusieq2 and emali06 like this.
  6. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

I definitely misread your question. No I have not heard of them using it on themselves. However there are a LOT of common horse wound topicals that I wouldn't use on myself.

ginster likes this.
  7. JStorry

JStorry Senior Member

I use honey. Local raw unpasteurized honey as per my vet, and saline. Lots of saline, used in a garden sprayer for debriding. I've seen some nasty wounds heal with little scarring using that protocol from my vet.

A lot of people here use a mixture made up by a local with the main ingredient being turpentine. On open wounds particularly, and that one one bugs me.

I've used plenty of horse products on myself, and would not hesitate to do so again. If I wouldn't use it on myself, I'm not using it on my horse.

Alsosusieq2 and ginster like this.
  8. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Yep. This is why granulated sugar, honey and manuka honey work just fine equally. I actually have manuka honey and its NOT CHEAP and doesn't taste good IMO. I think my little 8 oz jar was 35$.

We used sugar on a dog that was in hospital for over a month. He was a working Border Collie that accidentally got dragged behind a pickup. He had deep wounds on every part of his body covering at least 50% in total. Sugar wraps were an every day thing with him. SO MUCH SUGAR. He eventually healed enough to go home and we never had any issues with his recovery.

bellalou, Alsosusieq2 and JStorry like this.
  9. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Poor doggie...

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Oh yeah, for sure. That's not backwoods IMO, heck, I think it's been used since ancient Egypt.