Crazy Arabs! Ugh!

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Friesiangirl, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Friesiangirl

Friesiangirl Senior Member

IMG_20170117_193949.jpg
    IMG_20170117_193957.jpg

Just kidding.
    Maddy has really taken to her ground tying sessions.

Look at her, so impatient and wild.

Worthless breed.

2. Riosdad

Riosdad Full Member

Nice picture and I share your love of the breed
    Your saddle seems a bit large, overpowering, heavy
    Do you need so much saddle??
    Nice clip job

3. SEAmom

SEAmom Senior Member

I find that people who like them the least, generally, are the least likely to "be smarter than the horse".

Cute little mare!

Varisha, Friesiangirl and Breezah like this.
  4. Friesiangirl

No, actually. It's my interim until I get my Billy Cook Classic reiner. But it's useful for tying things to, and it's built to be able to pull so we've been dragging barrels and such. I've also thrown a rope off her a handful of times. Tied all sorts of things to it like tarps. It's a nice utility saddle but isn't exactly what I wanted. I should have asked for measurements of the skirt...

IMG_20170116_123955~2.jpg
    IMG_20170116_123944.jpg

This is the saddle I - want- but having trouble tracking it down within my budget or really even at all... Ugh. Buying new is about 1500.

5. Friesiangirl

Well, she's certainly schooled me. By far the smartest horse I've personally trained. Keeps me on my toes and makes me humble. I'm thankful!

6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Now hold up.
    Some of us just don't like a narrow built horse. I don't want to feel like I'm riding a clothespin is why I wouldn't go looking to buy an Arab. I like the wide-sprung ribbed horses like QH and drafts, draft ponies, anything that has a good sized barrel.

Kiesha, Arem, JStorry and 3 others like this.
  7. Friesiangirl

I rode a big stocky QH recently and cried inside. He's 3x as wide as my horse and he neck is a powerhouse. My horse is as narrow as a 2016 laptop!

Some have sprung ribbed, stout barrels. But Maddy is not one of those.

Arem, ginster and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  8. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Same. I HATE riding a narrow horse. My horse has a big, wide, flat back and I had to order him a new saddle b/c nothing I had fit him.

9. XolosAndFjords

XolosAndFjords Full Member

I'm with Manes on this one. I am definitely a beefy horse kind of girl. I like the look of them. I like the feel of them. In my particular breed, I do prefer the lighter Fjords capable of dressage, but they still have way more heft to them than an Arab or something similarly built. I've ridden some horse so narrow that even I, at 4'11, feel like I'm just standing higher off the ground with my legs spread a little. On the other hand, I tend to look like a child on anything 15.2 or taller. I got teased (by friends who never intended any real ill will) about it when Inused to own a TB mare who was 17-17.1 hands.

However, that doesn't mean I don't love to watch those Arabs in action. I'm not a big fan of the super snowy, slim, dish faced ones, but find me an Arab that is to my taste and I can watch that horse float around all day long. Growing up, I learned to ride on a quite a number of school horses at our eventing barn and two were half Arabs and the Arab was very obvious. Both solid bays with stars. One, poor guy, was plain as mud and not very cute at all, but he was the horse you could trust with anyone from a toddler to a senior who had ever even seen a horse before. The other was a gorgeous mahogany bay and the envy of every other trainer who saw him at shows because, not only was he a head turner, he was talented and safe. He taught many of us the basics of jumping and took us through training level. This second boy's owner, when she moved on to prelim, bought a half something warmblood/half Arab and she was this beautiful, grey, warmblood sized Arab. And she was the definition of a perfect lady to boot. I drooled over her for many, many years. All half Arabs, I know, but when someone says Arab, these are the three that come to mind for me immediately as horse's I have very fond memories of. Oh, and the full Arab stallion I had the privilege to ride a few times. He was the ultimate gentleman and the only stallion I have ever ridden. I didn't stay at that barn for long, but he was a cool guy. I've met nutjob Arabs and I've met the ones worth their weight in gold for their personality and temperament alone.

Long story short, I guess: Not the breed I will ever want to own, but the ones I am drawn to are definitely incredibly captivating to watch whether under saddle in the arena, endurance, etc. or just in the pasture.

10. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

I'm on the narrow side of the fence. The stockier types just don't fit my style. They don't feel powerful? or as ready to go? as I like. Don't know what I'm trying to get across, but I like the feel of potential energy underneath me and the stockier types just seem... flat.

Friesiangirl likes this.