Crabby April

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Lopinslow, May 21, 2015.

1. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Many of you may know this if you've seen my other thread when she went back to work this winter.

She is still lazy, and especially crabby when I ask her to lope (pins ears, etc), a bit worse going left.

She saw a chiro in March, and I am making an apt for her again to rule that out. Saddle fits, pad is a 5 star with thinline half pad. no back soreness what so ever. Was at the vet about 2 weeks ago to rule out any hock or stifle pain. Vet did take Xrays and an ultra-sound of a lump on her right rear leg. She doesn't like you poking/pushing on it, but nothing on Xrays with it, and it does not interfere with any tendons (it does have a little fluid in it, that the vet was not able to get out). seems to lope fine in the pasture and doesn't have an issue when tacked up on the lunge line. but, under saddle... back go the ears, whether I use more leg (in ball spurs) or just "kiss" to keep her going when she feels like she's going to break.

No symptoms of ulcers (find being tacked up, good appetite, great hair coat, great weight) but she is on a preventative just as a precaution.

suggestions? carry a crop? just keep riding and pushing her forward? ignore the ears? get her loping and try to praise her while we are loping?

I've never quite had one THIS lazy AND opinionated about it!

Edited to add, she's on Raspberry leaves, AND I'm starting her on injectable regumate (picking it up tomorrow)

2. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member

I did, and it just took being persistent. Once I would get DeDe to lope, I didn't nick pick, just let her move out at whatever speed she wanted, per what my trainer said to do. We did that quite a while until she got over it. I don't know if it is a balance issue or what but if I recall, it took the trainer about a month to get her past it. Oh it is was worse on one side, can't remember which.

3. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

thanks. I do let her lope at whatever speed she wants, which isn't usually very fast. I only make sure she is fast enough that she's actually loping and not getting lazy. She had the 2 weeks last year, and probably 3 months of riding this year, so I would have thought she would be over it by now.... hence the vet visit where I spend $424 to be told yup, she's just lazy and opinionated about it. lol

4. beat_it

beat_it Senior Member+

Hmmm, I think with an overly lazy horse my goal would be to REALLY push them forward. Like, a spanking trot (lol read that in a book once now I love to say spanking trot) and at the canter, I would want it FAST FAST. In a safe way. She might find she enjoys it and riding becomes fun for her? Just brainstorming here. That way, if she's still wanting to be lazy but has been pushed to go fast, she might gladly and willingly want to lope and jog at a regular pace? Maybe get her out the arena too and into a field?

5. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

Since you've discovered nothing wrong, I guess I would just keep pushing her through it. My Paso Fino is incredibly crabby, and if I didn't push her when her ears were back, I wouldn't even be able to ride her. Maddie can be pretty opinionated as well, but not as much. Hopefully she comes out of it, or you figure out what is bothering her. Do you ride circles, or let her go on a straight away a lot?

1 person likes this.
  6. bnttyra

bnttyra Senior Member

Just a note of caution on this, I actually was told to do that with DeDe and it sort of back fired on me for awhile. I really made her move out and it only resulted in getting her worked up and then trying to be a barrel horse, albeit a really slow legged and bad one, but way faster than she should have been going. But it isn't a bad idea either, you just need to make sure she doesn't think that is what she needs to do all the time but I get what beat_it is suggesting. :)

7. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

I may try to get her out a bit in a field and see if that helps.

love the "spanking trot"... although, I'm sure April will NOT. lol

I've still been working on the long trot with her.. and seriously when you sit. its not just a little nudge... it's 2, BUMP, BUMP! with the spurs, all the while I'm clucking and posting!! LOL

I had to laugh, after we watched the Preakness we went out to do chores. the BF is petting April and talking to her "hey April, we just watched this thing called a HORSE RACE. they actually like to lope, and even like to go fast!! really!! I'm not kidding!"

i'll try to get a video this weekend

Dream, I pretty much ride her in a big circle in half the arena.

6 people like this.
  8. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

How does she do if you ride her on the straight away? Maybe she's unhappy about still trying to figure out her balance at the lope in a circle?

3 people like this.
  9. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

I have not tried that, as I usually like to keep them on a circle for a while. I'll see if the does better with that.

1 person likes this.
  10. beat_it

beat_it Senior Member+

I have a big grassy soccer field I ride in a lot, as I don't have an arena, just a little riding ring behind the house. The soccer field is great because I will go out and spend half of the ride actually schooling, and then maybe at the end I will gallop around, I like doing a lot of galloping as it strengthens them and gets them off the forehand a little more. I will actually a lot of speed transitions too, I will lope slowly, then push him into a good hand gallop, then back down to a slow lope, etc etc and it's amazing how much BETTER they feel at the slow lope :)

5 people like this.