1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

Cowhocked yearling?? posted picts!

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Carinosa, Oct 6, 2007.

1. OzCowgirl

OzCowgirl Senior Member

I think you may also mean sickle-hocked? :) Then again, cow hocks aren't desired in reining because the back legs of a severely cow hocked horse would tend to splay outwards in a sliding stop. Other disciplines would find strength in the cowed hock. My stallion is slightly sickle hocked and it suits cutting because he really gets underneath himself. That does mean that he puts more pressure on his hock joint, but he can get really low.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  2. spotteddrafter1

spotteddrafter1 Senior Member

Being cowhocked itself isn't all that bad, but you definitely need to keep a close eye on the back feet. My mare is draft and cowhocks are actually preferred, however she tends to wear the outsides off and the insides will flare in. A good farrier can help you maintain those feet (my mare is actually barefoot in the back!), but it's something you have to watch. Cute baby, by the way!

3. BuddyPalAmiga

BuddyPalAmiga Senior Member+

Some people prefer a cow hocked horse for working on. She wouldn't do well in halter because of the flaw, but that doesn't mean she can't do everything else extremely well:) She's very cute and looks good. Can I ask why she lost so much weight this summer? I love her name also. What does "Nosa" mean? She looks smart and very sweet. Good luck with her.

4. tbtrainer

tbtrainer Senior Member+

Conformation flaw that she may grow out of to some degree... a good farrier can help some, and I would refrain from putting ANY weight on her back, even if it's just once in awhile.

belle4 likes this.
  5. stina3246

stina3246 Senior Member

I know your were meaning the OPs horse but for how long are you supposed to stay off a cow hocked horses back? My colt is 3 1/2 and still cowhocked. (Not as bad as when he was a yearling but still noticable) At what point do you decide they can handle weight? Or did you just mean because she's so young?

6. Carinosa

Carinosa Full Member

Thanks so much for all the input, I definitely will try some of these things! I do ALOT of groundwork with her because I want her to understand everything that I can possibly train her before I move to in the saddle work, and she does great!!! Ok something wierd, this morning when I went ut to grain her she was standind perfectly squared while she ate, not even a trace of the cow hocks. And I saw her like that another time this morning, yet I also saw her standing with her hocks turned in... is that possible for a horse that is truly cowhocked??? I'm planning on working with her today and am going to really check it out, but this was kinda confusing, lol!
    I really don't know why she lost so much weight, I haven't figured that out! I have been really working on putting weight on her and she's putting it on, YEA! She had me worried for a while, because she was getting plenty of food, and was regularly wormed, idk! Well, her name is Carinosa, which is Spanish for affectionate, or loving, and I just call her Nosa, because it's kinda easier to spit out and I have braces, lol:) I love the horse to death, and she's so sweet and loves to learn, that she's just sooo much fun to train:) I could brag on her forever but I won't lol! Thanks for all the input, I'm so glad I found this place!