Cow foaming at the mouth

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Vengeance, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Vengeance

Vengeance Senior Member+

Literally...

I haven't seen the cow, but my uncle came over earlier and said that we have a cow that's foaming at the mouth in the pasture. Don't know what's wrong with it and can't catch it because it's wild (they all are).

I' kinda scared to go out in the pasture now...

2. Chester

Chester Senior Member+

RABIES.

Over here I would say snake bite.

3. Fallon

Fallon Senior Member+

Maybe it's nothing more than bloat combined with it trying to cough up and chew it's cud, giving it a foaming look....

4. FleetFeet

FleetFeet Senior Member+

sometimes when my horses are eating their hay they get foamy at the mouth...I think there are also some plants/weeds that can cause excess saliva which might make the cow look like its foaming at the mouth.

5. BootsOn

BootsOn Senior Member

Could be foot and mouth. Whatever it is, I'd say it would be a very good idea to catch the cow and make sure it's nothing serious.

6. Super Step

Super Step Senior Member+

I lost two yearling calves last year after the first big frost. Both had foamed at the mouth and seemed a little nuts. I had not put out the High Mag mineral/salt. Their digestive system had not adjusted after the frost.

7. Vengeance

Vengeance Senior Member+

I think they may try and catch the cow... but my uncles words were that it was eating ok, so it must be ok... Me, I'm not too sure... I'm kinda scared of cows anyway...

I hope my horses stay away from the cows so I can catch them without having a heart attack over it...

8. Outlaws_Gunn

Outlaws_Gunn Banned

O_O Mad cow disease!!!!!! Better go rope it, Britt. And don't forget to be decked out in all red. ;) lol. Jk.
    Our cows foam at the mouth when they eat too much clover. Maybe that one just found some.

9. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member+

When I was milking we'd have cows in the parlor all the time dripping foam from their mouth, nothing was ever wrong with them.

If you can catch the cow (try herding it into a small pen if you have one) though it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a vet check it out.

10. Vengeance

Vengeance Senior Member+

Haven't heard anything on it today... If something is actually wrong with it, my uncles will probably shoot it... if not, then it'll just stay in the pasture most likely...