Could he do a LD endurance ride?

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by Quarter Girl, Mar 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Quarter Girl

Quarter Girl Full Member

Wondering what the odds are. My gelding is turning 16 now, he was ridden often but mostly just walking around with a saddle and a 7year old, maybe ridden by the kids parents here and there. He is a really bulldog shape his wither is just hardly 15 hands, his butt is 15.1 hands and he's probably 1350-1400lbs with a looooong back. Me+saddle is 150 lbs

Almost needed to beat him into taking a step when I got him, slowly worked at it and now he loves to w/t/c/g and he's willling to move and doesn't try and stop now. He just goes.
    Just rode 15 miles today with him
    2 mile warm up w/t/c up and down a steep hill a few times, did circles and down a trail.
    10 miles solid trotting with only a few stops. Gravel roads, long slow hills, few big lumps of dirt, fields
    3 mile cool down
    After the 10 miles he was a bit sweaty, but he wasn't gasping for air. He was just normal maybe a extra breath. It took us 1 hour. Cooled down after 1 mile but needed the extra 2 so we did some walking and trotting.

What are the odds he would be able to compete in a 25 mile endurance race in 6 months without being disqualified or dying? It really enjoys keeping a trot and adventuring.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2017
  2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Well, in conditioning a horse, you want to add a mile at a time , but you need to add the mile and condition the horse for as long as it takes to get him doing that extra mile easily. Might take a week or more.

You need to get a heart rate monitor for him, take his heart rate at a point where he's working and still not stressed and that's your mark you strive for when adding the extra mile.

You can go to and do the endurance ride, all the while monitoring him and just slow up or stop when he's had enough. It's not like you have to win it. You do as much as he can comfortably do, have fun and enjoy the experience.

3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I've never done endurance but that seems like proper info. I'd just have him built up slowly.

Nu5ha and Quarter Girl like this.
  4. froglander

froglander Senior Member

And don't they nonof it as a "race", especially not your first time out. Just finishing can be a good accomplishment!

Isn't there someone on here that competes in endurance? Starts with an E I think? @emali06 ?

Quarter Girl likes this.
  5. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

Most any sound, consistently ridden horse can do an LD (at leasts that's what they say).

I'd pick one with the least amount of hills and technical aspects for him just due to his body mass. Might be a good idea to do one in early spring or late fall when it is cool all day. With his size, he is going to take longer to cool and pulse down and potentially deal with more metabolic issues. Make sure he eats and drinks constantly on the trail. A quarter horse holds the record for completions at Tevis so an LD isn't out of the question. It just depends on the individual horse.

LSD (long slow distance) is the key to getting a horse fit for endurance. Just keep doing what you are doing. You do not need to invest in a heart rate monitor. Just a stethoscope or get good with finding a pulse. You don't need to run the hooves off your horse or ride every day to get him fit. A couple times a week or so. A handful of miles at a time.

And keep in mind, it's a ride, not a race.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  6. Quarter Girl

Quarter Girl Full Member

What kinds of metabolic issues? Eating sure won't be a problem lol! How many stops are there in a 25 mile??? Could you elaborate a little bit on the LSD, sorry I'm just new to all this. Thanks so much!

7. D_BaldStockings

D_BaldStockings Senior Member

Well, you could WALK him the 25 miles and be done in 7 hours...

I think with some conditioning Long-Slow-Distance you both should be OK on a flat ride in reasonable temperatures.

-How are his hooves and is he a smooth ride? 25 miles in the saddle on some horses can be excruciating.

manesntails likes this.
  8. D_BaldStockings

D_BaldStockings Senior Member

ummm. might need to rethink my post.

25 mile Endurance RACE may mean that people are going flat out for most of the distance (because their horses can) and there is no pacing faster/slower/ etc.

So your horse would not be competitive in that, but you can certainly enter and finish.

9. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

There's only one "stop"in a LD, but you have to pass the vet check at the end of your ride.

*Most* horses can do a LD, as long as they're used to being ridden some.

Metabolic issues can be dehydration, colic, thumps, heart rate that won't go down in the allotted time, etc.

You can also be pulled for lameness.

LDs are really fun and gets your feet wet for the real endurance rides.

D_BaldStockings and froglander like this.
  10. CJ

CJ Senior Member

Id start with a much shorter race and see how he does initially. It sounds to me like hes a pretty heavy build for a ER horse. A friend of mine used to do Competitive trail with her Arab, including long races. I dont know or recall how far apart the vet checks are, but he will be pulled if his Pulse & Resp are too high, or sidelined/ eliminated unless & until recovery to acceptable P&R happens. The topography of the race/ride is a factor too. Even experienced riders "always underestimated" the local rides, because the trails were Flat but in sandy soil, and the sand took more energy & out of even conditioned mounts, who then flunked P&R checks. 'You laugh' about him disqualifying or dying, but either are possible. If you think theres a Chance of either, hes Not ready to compete.