Corriente barrel saddle ?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Corgiequestrian, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Corgiequestrian

Corgiequestrian Full Member

Looking at getting a new saddle for my qh mare, dont have the biggest budget atm and have heard good things about the corriente saddles. Im worried about the fit though, she is a pretty wide girl and it looks like they only make 7inch gullets. Has anyone with really thick qhs ever used these saddles with success? They show their saddles fitting a wide variety of horses. If im using a different brand of saddle with a wider gullet does that mean i should stick with that gullet size? Im terrible at judging what will work without seeing the saddle on the horse.

2. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

Every saddle fits on a case by case basis. Gullet width isn't the only thing you need to consider. Bar angle is incredibly important.

I personally think Corriente saddles are cheaply made on junk trees. However, there are members on this board that like them.

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  3. Corgiequestrian

Corgiequestrian Full Member

Yes i know gullet isnt the only factor but say if i use a 7.5 gullet on one saddle and know that works for her is it possible for a 7 inch gullet would work on a different saddle or not at all? Ive always purchased saddles used so i dont know what the bar angles are on it. id have someone double check the fit but obviously wouldn’t spend the money on the saddle if there was no chance it would fit. Ive seen people say (and on their website) that it fits a variety of horses including wide horses which is why im curious.
    There seems to be lots of positive reviews and then a few people that say they are junk. Wish i could get my hands on one to try. Think im going to look for a used cactus instead until i can afford my dream saddle.

4. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

The bar angle is something you just need to train your eye on. If you take a coat hanger and mold it over her back, you can study that angle and be able to eyeball one online. It's not the perfect method, but it'll get you close.

5. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

^ just don’t use a coat hanger. Find a more flexible wire. Coat hangers are far to stiff a wire to do this with.

6. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

Ha, you're absolutely right!

7. palogal

palogal Senior Member

My husband has a Corriente Wade something or other, and loves it. It’s well constructed and fits his horse nicely. They only make full bars and they’re not “custom” but they are good saddles with some options he liked. Not my cup of tea, but he loves it and the horse is comfortable.