Correct way to measure height of your horse

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by husler10, Jun 21, 2011.

1. husler10

husler10 Senior Member+

Ok I'm really confused about how to correctly measure a horse. I was always told you measure from the ground to the withers and divide inches by 4 and that's how many hands the horse is. Well, a friend's daughter is in 4H and I guess they were told that you measure the horse from ground to lowest part of withers then you subtract 2 inches for the hooves and then divide by 4. When their mare was measured by 4H they claim she is 13.3 and I'm sorry but IMHO there is no way in **** that girl is only 13.3. Has anybody else ever heard of subtracting 2 inches for the horses hooves? Apparently you subtract the 2 inches because the length of the hooves fluxuate. It just makes no sense to me.

2. Chester

Chester Senior Member+

I think someone was drinking too much rum before the 'how to measure a horse' class. ;) Or they got their information from 'Expert Village'

3 people like this.
  3. fancypants1223

fancypants1223 Full Member

No that's not how it's done. You measure from ground to withers, and divide by 4. I'm in 4-h and have never heard that but that is really weird:confused:I mean i guess i could be wrong but i have NEVER heard of it that way!haha but what 4-h said that?

4. Chow

Chow Senior Member+

Could they be subtracting for some kind of special shoes? Maybe it was just for a particular horse? I had never heard of that method either.

5. husler10

husler10 Senior Member+

Saddles and Spurs in Brookville Pa

6. husler10

husler10 Senior Member+

According to the friend that is the way this 4H group measures all of the horses. I know their mare gets to show in pony class and she is just slightly smaller than my son's gelding who sticks at 15.1

7. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Senior Member+

Is this person in charge of the pony rule for the club by chance? Either they shouldnt be trying to teach or they are cheating.

This 4-H group can measure however they want. All the clubs are held to the same rules within the county. The person in charge of the pony program is the final judge. If they are one in the same, you have a cheater on your hands....

I cant think of another seniario that could be going on.

8. husler10

husler10 Senior Member+

I was kind of thinking the same thing myself. I honestly don't know much about 4H at all and have never attended any 4H shows so I'm not sure who is in charge of what.

9. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Senior Member+

Talt to a leader outside your group. They will know.