Correct Form over a Hunter Jump

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by 3questr1an, Sep 20, 2006.

1. 3questr1an

3questr1an Senior Member

Can i get someone to please post a pic of what the correct HUNTER form (rider) over a 2' or 2'6" fence looks like, on a horse, 15-16 hands (just to get the ratio from jump to horse correct. I think im doing something wrong, but im not quite sure what the judges are looking for in a show (HUNTER) like over the big jumps, im ok w/ position, i just dont know how far to sit up for the smaller ones.

Also, if someone could point me in the correct direction of a place where i could find a list of qualities that judges are looking for in a jump course for hunters: ie, consistant pace, leads right, heels down, eyes up, hunt seat (WHOLE COURSE, OR JUST OVER JUMPS?) nice bend at the waist over jumps (WHAT IM LOOKING AT IN THE PICS) but i want to know mostly rider stuff, stuff that i need to do during my course. i know what the horse is supposed to do.

just as a qualifier, i have jumped courses b4 in other hunter shows, 2' to 3' courses, i just want to improve my postion over the smaller ones.

thanks

2. Barn_Brat

Barn_Brat Banned

3. 3questr1an

3questr1an Senior Member

any others?

4. Stars Of Vegas

Stars Of Vegas Senior Member+

what ahve they said that your doing wrong over your fences??
    ~~~SOV~~~

5. TheNoviceRider

TheNoviceRider Senior Member

Your position should not change too much over the different height of jumps.. of course you should release a bit more over the bigger ones but your base of support should stary relativly the same. Here is a picture of a rider that i think has good form
    [​IMG]

6. alr001

alr001 Senior Member+

This right here is the best picture posted so far. This rider has a very good leg and is positioned well in the saddle. The only thin I would like to see more of is a little more arch in the back and a little more of a release. Not much but a till more up the neck.

Main points you want are:

Solid leg (hip, knee and toe in line w/ one another)
    Head up looking a head through the horse's ears.
    Creast release a little less than half way up the horses neck.
    Shoulders up and back with a little arch in it.

*You do no want your butt higher than your shoulders.( it would be an exagerration and look as though you are diving to the horse's neck.)

Overall as I said. I also Like the look of this rider.

7. MysticRealm

MysticRealm Senior Member+

Yes the last person deffinately has the best form of the ones posted. the first 2 have the trendy lay on the neck, way broken line from hand to bit that is common (but not correct) in the hunter ring these day.
    the last one is pretty good. back could be a bit flatter (could be caused by her conformation tho)

8. MysticRealm

MysticRealm Senior Member+

oh and in answer to your 'what judges want the rider to look like throughout the course' question. it really shouldn't matter as hunters should be judged solely on the horse BUT, if you're flopping and flapping and kicking to get your horse around you are gonna
    a. not make a very smooth round
    b. make the judges think your horse is very hard to ride (and you want the judges thinking man that horse looks so easy and fun I want to ride it)
    and c. not create a very nice picture

if you have to adjust something during the course (lengthen/shorten stride, turn real sharp, get him rounded again) do it as subtly and as smoothly as possible so it's as least noticeable as possible. going in a half seat is best b/c it shows the judge you don't need that big aid going around as you horse is SOO easy to ride but again if your horse doesn't go well in a half seat don't do one b/c when it all comes done to it it's judged on the horse.
    a lighter rein is great too (again with the easy thing) but if you can't steer or keep him a a decent proper pace then shorten up your reins. Ride your horse (do what it takes to get him thro the course as wonderfully as possible) but pretend to just be sitting pretty

9. Solly Jumper

Solly Jumper Senior Member+

That last picture and last piece of information should be helpful to you. You can always ask the judge during the placing, or afterwards as well. Every judge is different.