Cooling methods: evaporation v. conduction

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by endurgirl, Aug 9, 2018 at 5:51 AM.

1. sherian

sherian Senior Member

the one time I forgot a scraper and walked a horse back from the wash rack dripping, the horse had a hissy fit over the dripping and kicked over a port a potty - I am pro scrape off excess water now.

2. Arem

Arem Senior Member

All I know is, it’s not the heat that gets me. It’s humid and (thin/slight) moisture just sitting on my skin that makes me overheat. Certainly not going to do that to my horse intentionally!

I scrape. Always will.
    Cold water from the hose is all I have available. I start on the legs to let the horse get acclimated to the temperature, much as I do with myself.

When hot, I’ve found that running cold water over my wrists is a gloriously effective way to cool down. I used to to do that when I worked at the boarding barn. I’d run the water over my wrists as I filled buckets. So I can imagine running water over key areas on the horse, with vessels close to the skin, has the same affect.

ginster, Alsosusieq2 and endurgirl like this.
  3. Suzanneszoo

Suzanneszoo Senior Member

I use cool water and scrape, because that's what my horses like best.

Either way, as long as your horse's skin temp feels "room temp" when you're done, I think we're all doing ok.

LOL...how about this? Instead of working your horse in the heat, work them early in the morning or later in the evening to avoid overheating?

Alsosusieq2 and manesntails like this.
  4. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

Lol :ROFLMAO: well, an ounce of prevention and all that. I don't think most people commenting tend to ride in blistering heat or have horses frequently overheating.
    But it only takes a few minutes to sponge off a sweaty horse so why not?
    Keeps my black from fading as badly, keeps my whites cleaner and I imagine feels a lot nicer than being sticky with sweat *shrugs*

ginster, Alsosusieq2 and Arem like this.
  5. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

if you are going to show outside in the heat, one should practice in the heat to get them accustomed to doing so. We always practiced outside, gradually working up to longer periods of time, when we knew we were going to be outside. Always keep them well hydrated, and find some shade to help cool, along with rinsing and scraping.

ginster, Arem and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  6. Suzanneszoo

Suzanneszoo Senior Member

Hah. I'm a snowflake in menopause.

No showing or anything else in the heat for me!

Alsosusieq2 and bobo and horses like this.