Cooking tips

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Alsosusieq2, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I just put it all in my nutri-bullet and it puree's it. No chunks here!

heartland, Alsosusieq2 and equinitis like this.
  2. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

My husband and I both work full time and my mother, who lives with us, is diabetic and in somewhat fragile health. I love to cook, bake, make candy, all of that but have to be mindful of my picky eater husband and diabetic mother.

When I have the time and am in the mood, I cook a lot. Like triple and quadruple recipes a lot. We eat what we want then I portion out the rest in freezer bags or vacuum seal containers and freeze it. This makes delicious, made just like we like ti, meals that are fast and easy on those hectic days. I put one in my lunch bag in the morning and, by lunch it is thawed and ready to heat. This also works great for unexpected company.

I also freeze bread sometimes the dough and sometimes partially baked to make it "brown and serve" style. I also make bread that does not need to double rise, french bread type, so save some time that way and can make fresh, hot, right out of the oven french bread on a work night!

Clean up and wash the dishes as you go to save time and effort when you are finished eating and lack the motivation to clean uup a big mess!

heartland likes this.
  3. tlkidding

tlkidding Senior Member

There's a bunch of no-knead bread recipes out there - google Bread in a Pot recipes.

I've used these recipes making long, narrower loafs on a jelly roll pan, spritzing the oven a few times with water, and it comes out with lots of holes and a nice crust. I've also done the dough in a pot and it makes an amazing round loaf that's perfect for sandwiches.

I'm in a CSA this year and trying to use up all of the fresh veggies. When I get overwhelmed with the bounty, I try to figure out how I can par-cook something to freeze and use later - saute onions and peppers and freeze to toss in soups or spaghetti sauce, blanch kale and beet tops and freeze for soups this winter.

I make pesto with home-grown basil, freeze it in ice cube trays, pop out the cubes and store in the freezer in ziplocs. One cube = 1 serving of pesto and it defrosts or reheats very quickly. Sometimes in the grocery store you can find bigger containers of fresh basil and you can get about 1 batch of pesto from those. I think it tastes much better than the pesto in a jar. I also will make pesto with walnuts instead of pine nuts sometimes and almost prefer the flavor.

I get fresh chicken breasts (from Costco), put them in the crockpot with 1/2 cup chicken stock per chicken breast, and cook on high for 2-4 hours. Shred or cut in pieces, portion into ziploc bags, and freeze for recipes, salads, tacos, etc.

Honestly, I'm a pretty lazy cook and usually end up eating dinner really later (after 8 pm) due to evening activities. So I often heat up a can of soup or Lean Cuisine and I'll add some frozen veggies or edamame to bulk up the meal.

ginster and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. waresbear

waresbear Senior Member

I had a bread maker when the kids were still at home. They filled it up every night and chowed down on whatever it cooked up in the morning. I wasn't crazy about it, but it did make the kitchen smell nice. I rarely eat bread any more anyways. Only time I cook something with white flour is when I make Indian food, I like homemade naan. I have spices direct from India, I used to work with East Indian ladies and they always brought me some after their trips back home. My masala & butter chicken is the best I have ever tasted, and I have eaten in a lot of East Indian restaurants. That is pretty much our only splurge in food, rest is all organic and healthy, which I think is very tasty, great for my abs I know that, lol. And it's good for my husband's health as he is a double lung transplantee. The transplant team dietitian approves of my menus, I had to submit them to her, she said she was impressed. Kale and quinoa win them over every time, lol. I make all sorts of stuff with kale, as it grows pretty much most of year round here and the deer only eat it when it first sprouts, so if you can get it past that stage the plants are great!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. slc

slc Senior Member

Hint: make a cake with no butter and no eggs - you can eat a lot of this.

preheat over to 350 degrees F
    3 c flour
    2 c sugar
    2 c water
    1/3 c cocoa
    2 teaspoons baking SODA
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 TABLESPOONS vinegar
    1/2 c canola oil
    1 TABLESPOON vanilla extract
    I mix all dry ingredients in one bowl, thoroughly, and all wet ingredients in another bowl, mix each of these very thoroughly in separate bowls, then combining dry and wet ingredients goes much faster; there is some urgency in getting this mixture into the oven.

mix all, put in ungreased 13x9 inch pan. cook 40 min.

ginster and Alsosusieq2 like this.