Cooking tips

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Alsosusieq2, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Cooking tips or anything related pass em on, grocery shopping etc.

I used to have a roommate that was a chef for a bit and the easiest tip they gave me was one I use today. It was related to the microwave, so nothing gourmet. If you're going to heat something for a minute just hit 111 or say 33 for 30 seconds.. it's just keyboard quicker, easier. Most of my microwave use is just reheating a cup of soup or coffee myself so it works for me-!!

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

That's funny; I use 112 because my hand wants to wander~!!
    I'm the same with the microwave: it's for heating stuff up, reheating, and for microwavable frozen bags of vegetables for suppers.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. Ziast

Ziast Senior Member

Learned this recently from my SIL. I really hate onions in my food, especially in pasta sauces, but don't mind the taste. Since its almost impossible to find premade sauce without chunks of onion, I have to use tomatoes paste and stuff but it's not as nice.
    If you take a whole white onion and cut it in half, you can simmer that in the sauce for a while(along with butter), and you will end with all the flavor without the chunks of onion.

4. manesntails

Ough~!! I have one~!!
    I did a thread on this way back around 2011 or so.
    To make grilled cheese without the pan to clean later, you put two pieces of bread in a toaster oven. When the bread starts to brown, put the cheese on top, then, when it melts, slap the two pieces together.

Grilled cheese and no pan to clean~!!

ginster likes this.
  5. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

Lol manes I know someone that did that and the toaster caught on fire. The cheese must have melted off and gotten in the burner or something. I'm not sure.

Edit...
    Ohhhh never mind. I thought you wrote toaster, not toaster oven. Duh. The thing I'm talking about is turning the toaster on its side.

Alsosusieq2 and manesntails like this.
  6. manesntails

I did it like that at first, putting the toaster on it's side, but later realized the danger. :ROFLMAO:

NBChoice and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  7. heartland

heartland Senior Member

I do this too! With onions, garlic, even things like celery or carrots for flavour if I don’t want cut up pieces in my sauce/chilli etc. I’m soooo picky with texture! I love flavour, but hate certain textures lol.

Ziast likes this.
  8. slc

slc Senior Member

I on the other hand will eat about anything that can be put on a plate, unless it got there under its own power. I have no problems with chunks of onions.

BUT - in a lot of recipes, it is traditional to tie up herbs in a little cheesecloth bag, toss it in that stew or soup recipe, and then throw it away, so the person does not wind up gnawing on some tough bay leaf or other herb.

I make a lot of vegetarian recipes and love to cook. I cook about every meal we eat, from scratch. We rarely use any prepared foods.

My favorite is Indian food, but I like every sort of cooking that exists.

One of my tricks is to put together bread dough, knead for 10 min, and put it in a zip lock bag, overnight, in the refrigerator. It will in fact rise in there(so you have to be sure to use a large enough zip lock bag and squeeze all the air out of it before you close it), and when I take it out and get ready to make bread, it just has to warm up on the counter for a little while before it goes completely nuts. I take the dough and put it in a well-oiled bread pan and let it have its last rise sitting on the oven (which is warm) or in the oven (the oven has a bread rising setting), and then bake.

The dough can also be frozen and cooked later. I freeze it in bread pans, and then later remove the loaves from the pans and put them in zip lock freezer bags.

Since we don't use any prepared food, I do make certain things ahead of time. For example, mixed pancake dry ingredients, in a bag with a label on that says how much milk, oil and egg to add to it. Same with corn bread and other quick breads. These are best off stored in the freezer.

We used to do a lot of backpacking, before I hurt my neck. Now I can't carry a heavy backpack. But in the past, I'd prepare food ahead so that we didn't use any freeze dried or prepared food. For example, oven-drying already-cooked pinto beans or chick peas till they are completely dried out, they can then be packed for a back packing trip and cooked with a few minutes of simmering.

9. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

I'll have to try your bread trick slc. I love homemade bread. Sounds like it is fairly simple to do. My mom has a breadmaker and I wish I had one.

10. slc

slc Senior Member

I can't stand the bread maker bread. I am just not ready for that. To me it's like it was steamed not cooked. I want my bread kissed by the flames. But yeah I must admit a lot of people like bread makers and it is incredibly convenient. Come home and have fresh baked bread for dinner.

The refrigerated dough can't come close to that for convenience, but it does help some.

waresbear and NBChoice like this.