Conversation with sick husband

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bellalou, Mar 20, 2017.

1. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

Try working for the doctor! Explain the BRAT diet to one guy... he calls back the next day worse. What did you have for dinner? Sweet and sour chicken. Chinese?! Welll...you said rice.

Varisha and Arem like this.
  2. slc

slc Senior Member

Getting a man to the doctor is like trying to get a mule to walk up a ladder.

Doesn't matter if his leg is hanging off by a string or whatever it is.

Every once in a while when life seems too peaceful, my husband has an 'Addisonian crisis' because he forgets his medicine or to drink water.

Generally goes careening around the living room smashing into solid objects, bleeding all over everything, then falls face down on the floor, usually scantily clad, of course.

I SWEAR the next time this happens I'm just going to be sitting there reading a magazine when the EMTs arrive and just wave as they take him away.

Jug him, stitch him up, pump him full of hydrocortisone for a couple days, and call me when he's ready.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    GONE ROPING and ChestersMomma like this.
  3. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Senior Member

I must be the husband then!!! :eek: It would take severe, crippling pain or something broken to go the doctor for me lol

Hubby on the other hand, *sneeze* - "I should go to the doctor!" lol, ok so not that bad but you get the picture...:wink:

Varisha and Arem like this.
  4. RelaxMax

RelaxMax Senior Member

Literally me.

B: "youre sick. you need to go to a doctor."
    Me: "lol why what a dumb reason."

B: "your tibia is sticking through your leg."
    me: "meh whatever it'll fix itself."

B: "you blew your arm off."
    Me: "guess I didn't need it anyway."

5. NBChoice

NBChoice Senior Member

It's just a flesh wound!

ginster and Varisha like this.
  6. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I guess it's pretty common, listen.. If they're lost and won't ask for directions it's no surprise. Beats me why-!!

ginster likes this.
  7. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

I love this thread, and it makes me realize that I shouldn't fault my boyfriend too much. I try to avoid the doctors as much as possible because I hate taking up space in an already crowded waiting room. I'm smart enough to know when my ailment can be managed with OTC medication or rest. I know that most colds are viral and the doctor can't really do anything except tell me to get lots of fluids and rest. That being said, there have been a few times when I begged someone to take me to the doctor because I was too sick or in too much pain to do it myself. One occasion that is burned into my memory is a bladder infection. I went from feeling fine at noon to feeling absolutely nauseous and faint by 2pm. I laid down and woke up at 3pm to the feeling that something was horribly wrong. I stumbled out of my room and asked my mom to take me to the doctor. She took one look at me, dropped what she was doing and hustled me out the door. The doctor had me do the standard urine test, the normal poking, prodding and Q&A session and didn't even wait for the test results to come back before starting me on medication. He called the next day to tell me that my UTI was actually bordering on a kidney infection and then to ask me again how long I had symptoms before coming in. He couldn't believe I went from feeling normal to feeling as ill as I did in 3 hours.

No amount of pain I've felt since then has even come close to the pain of that infection - and I've broken ribs, punctured my lung and cracked my tailbone. I would prefer any of those again over a kidney infection.

8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I had my first, and hopefully only uti recently, omgosh can I relate.:( I've never had anything like that. They're absolutely creepy and nasty pain-!! I'd have never guessed they'd be anything like that, or at least mine was too.

9. StarPattern

StarPattern Senior Member

They're just awful. I'm prone to them now, but have learned to recognize the "warning signs". When I start feeling feverish, that's my cue to start drinking water and eating as much fruit as I possible can. If I'm lucky, I can usually flush the infection out before it really starts. My poor boyfriend is just beyond amused by it. We were on vacation last summer and I started feeling gross. I looked at him and was like, "I need grapes and blueberries, we need to go to the store."

"Babe, why?"
    "I can feel a bladder infection coming on."
    "Wait... what? You can feel that? Can you also hear colors?"

He's a jerk.

Arem, Sam C., Varisha and 3 others like this.
  10. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Well, he's better. He finally actually called the doctor who told him... wait for it... eat a bland diet. *headdesk*

Which he did and felt better almost immediately. Idiot. I love him dearly but he's an idiot. :p

Arem, Sam C., Varisha and 4 others like this.