controversy around Magnum Psyche?

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding' started by Heavenly Jumper, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Heavenly Jumper

Heavenly Jumper Senior Moderator Staff Member

I didn't want to hi-jack the other thread this was in...

I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering about it, what's the deal with Magnum?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015
  2. Nes

Nes Senior Member+

/rofl from what I've heard there are a few people that belive he was "cosmetically altered"

Which as far as I'm concerned is total BS because you don't get an animal that can move like that with out great underlying structure :D

Nes.

3. SweetIron

SweetIron Senior Member+

Wow, I never even thought about that; plastic surgery for horses. But I think it'd be expensive; and if someone could afford it, why could they not just spend that money on buying an already-perfect animal? Hm..

4. Heavenly Jumper

I think I once heard about a throatlatch "lift" or something...

5. love survives

love survives Senior Member

thanks for starting this thread, i was wondering the same thing =)

6. Lindsayanne

Lindsayanne Senior Member

What?!? You mean your horses HAVEN'T had work done?!?! :rolleyes: Where've you been?? tsk.... :wink:

j/k.. though I know some ponies who could use a stomach stapling. :D

7. shell

shell Senior Member+

I need to sign my gelding up for some of that!!:rofl:

8. Sandra-A1

Sandra-A1 Senior Moderator Staff Member

OKay..in brief...
    As a yearling Magnum had cribbing surgery which does remove muscle from the throatlatch area. He does have an 8 inch scar there.
    It was said that this surgery was necessary since he was a cribber. The reason this was questioned is that several other yearlings also had the exact same surgery as Magnum did at the exact same time....plus several other horses had various other procedures done as well.
    This surgery on Magnum was found by a Court not to be cosmetic surgery, but necessary to correct a problem.
    David Boggs, however, was suspended from the AHA show ring for 5 years for unethical conduct: He was found guilty of having show horses surgically altered, including liposuction, eye tattooing, and throatlatch surgeries. Then promoting those animals for show and breeding. There were a number of animals that were involved.
    He was given 5-years suspension and 5-years probation from any IAHA sanctioned event.
    His suspension from showing is now completed and he is once again back in the show ring.
    He took Magnum Psyche back to the AHA National Championship show the same year his was once again allowed back into the show ring and he once again won National Champion Stallion.

9. love survives

love survives Senior Member

huh..thats very interesting..so the controvery is wherether the surgery was nessicarry..? couldnt they just put a cribbing collar on him..? although with that Arabian neck, i dont know if they could find one to fit him right..that is interesting though.

10. Heavenly Jumper

I can definitely see how that would be decieving to a potential breeder and dishonest in the show ring. I think that is silly, enhancing natural beauty with a bath, shave and some highlighter...that's one thing. But surgery? Man some people will go too far... I think that stopping the horse from cribbing is a valid (even though I wouldn't do it) reason for surgery...but just for looks? That is selfish. What the heck is EYE TATOOING??!