Conformation Critique on QH Gelding

Discussion in 'Critique My Horse' started by lucky_pine, Jul 28, 2018.

1. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

9 years old, roughly 15.2-3hh

20180727_200922.jpg

20180727_154652.jpg

GONE ROPING likes this.
  2. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Is this the one you have so much fun riding currently?
    I like his face, he looks kind and patient, but interested.
    His back sure looks like saddle fitting could be a chore, looks rather curvy and short. And wide.

3. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

Yes, this is the guy! My older Simco saddle fits him well, and the Aussie works well on him also, so I got lucky there! He really is just a sweetheart. With personality to spare.

20180727_163002(0).jpg

4. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

@manesntails you have a great eye. Opinion on this guy? Your bluntness is appreciated!

manesntails likes this.
  5. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

I know not a QH person, but something about his loins & hind end is bugging me. It’s jut not right. He’s quite straight through the stifle too, but I’m not convinced all these things is actually confirmation - in wondering if it’s posture or something causing him to stand like this.

I also question why he has so much muscle in the shoulder. It’s so odd, as no other spot does he have anywhere near that amount.

So aside from these oddities, I think he’s a nice look chap for sure!

ginster likes this.
  6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

The good is he's nicely balanced, hip to shoulder angles are good and almost perfectly even. Short strong cannons, good bone, nice length of neck, but it's set on too high. Short back, good wither, but very short loins.

I could be wrong but he looks dink toed, need a front on shot to be sure, and what is with the RF tendon at the back of the ankle? He looks like he had a low bow there at some point. The tendon is thicker than on the LF.

He is too straight hip to hock and he has very loaded hocks. Good pastern angles, could be a tad longer, though, a little on the short side. Attractive head, kind of thick throatlatch, but if he lost some weight, that might go away.

ginster likes this.
  7. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

Reason I'm asking is because he literally has no idea how to lope and it's the strangest thing. He puts his head down by his knees, and the best I can describe it by being on him and not on the ground to see it, is that he bunny hops. It's like he has no idea where his front end and back end need to go. He rides like a jack hammer.

He's entirely sound, and he's extremely pleasant to be around. He makes a good trail horse and that's all I ask of him.

Manes, what do you mean by dink toed?

8. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

9. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

See, photo angles make the difference. The pic in the barn, he looks a tad splay footed, the next one, a little turned in in front ( dink toed) .needs a hoof trim too, so that affects stance.
    You need to square him up for photos.

As far as not cantering: just under saddle, he doesn't lope, right? He is super muscled in the shoulder and weakly muscled and straight in the stifle, so yeah, I can see him going totally on the forehand and using his big shoulder musculation to propel himself forward and his hind end just to catch his balance. He's muscled up backwards and I would bet he pops his nose out at the trot.

Okay, look at his hind end. See how hollow it is? Between the point of the hip and the stifle is a huge hollow that should be muscle. He has lower stifle muscle, then above, in the hollow, is the whorlbone and the large muscle of the upper hip. His is not built up A~tall.

I would walk, loose rein, halt, wait ten seconds, back: one. Foot. At. A. Time. Whatever front foot he's got most of his weight on, start with the other. He should be relaxed with his head and neck at normal resting level.

Do that a few times, then go do something else, then back him again. Start backing him in and out of the pasture. Wherever you can go forward, he can go backwards. Start a few steps at a time. Rest after he does it so he can think about it.

His head has to be down watching so you give it to him and let him move it to either side by what foot he needs to move. See if his musculation improves.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  10. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

does this horse canter on his own in the field or on the lunge or in the round pen?? Or can he just not canter carrying a riders weight?