Conditioning Young Horses

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Corina, May 18, 2018 at 6:24 AM.

1. Corina

Corina Full Member

What exercises do you like to do to help condition young horses (who are not yet going under-saddle) for the show ring?

2. slc

slc Senior Member

Ponying on straight lines, walking them, turning them out in a big pasture with other horses so they tear around a lot. Get in and out of trailer, get feet done, leading training, familiarizing with tack.

I don't do any longeing, long lining, round penning, no repetitive circles. I would not show a young horse except possibly in a sport horse breeding class if I could afford it (and it's expensive as those shows are very far away). Generally, I would not be riding til the horse is 3 1/2 (with the exception of maybe a couple rides at a walk earlier).

3. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Full Member

I do this and I also round pen or lunge my 2 year old, gelding. He is out of shape right now after coming back from two consecutive injuries. :no:

4. txgray

txgray Senior Member

Ponying and marching walks over varied terrain. Lots of small circles are very hard on all horses, but especially young ones, so I avoid that as much as possible - very little to no lunging or round pen work. But I think different terrain is key to building up both hard and soft tissue. From deeper sand to hard asphalt and everything in between, especially on hills. You don't even have to do much more than walk, maybe a little trot, to reap the benefits.

Friesiangirl and ginster like this.
  5. Alyssa Hughes

Just wondering what about round penning (trotting) hurts them? I also do it to train him (I am starting him) not just for exercise. He is almost 3.

6. txgray

txgray Senior Member

Repetitive circles put a lot more strain on both soft tissue and the joints themselves. It's fine if done sparingly (and on a larger circle and at slower gaits), but can result in either acute injury and/or long term damage if done too intensely or with great frequency.

ginster likes this.
  7. Alyssa Hughes

Thanks for the warning! I've never heard this. Silly question how do you break them if you don't round pen?

8. brl_rcr72

brl_rcr72 Full Member

There's nothing wrong with using a roundpen, especially when you first saddle and ride them for yours and the horses safety. So as long as you aren't exercising them in there excessively you should be all right. Roundpens should be used for training not excercising/conditioning.

9. Alyssa Hughes

Okay. Thank you for explaining that.

10. slc

slc Senior Member

Round pen means repetitive small circles. Same as longeing, long lining. Small repetitive circles are not good for young horse's joints. Ponying and leading, on the other hand, at least have the option of going in a straight line.