Conditioning exercises for horse with a weak stifle?

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by LoveHollywood19, Jul 4, 2018.

1. LoveHollywood19

LoveHollywood19 Senior Member

Hello everyone :)

I'm working with a horse that, as the title states, has a weak stifle. She's coming along nicely and has improved lots in the month that I've been working with her. I have been easing her into work and now I'm looking for some more exercises to do. I've been using trotting poles, hills and lateral work so far to help target the stifle area. Are there any other exercises that I can do to change it up?

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Backing. Back him one foot at a time, into the stall, into or out of the riding arena, or pasture. Back in an arc, back him between rails on the ground. Back him over things, etc. Building the supporting muscles helps the stifle muscle to perform better and strengthen itself.

3. LoveHollywood19

LoveHollywood19 Senior Member

Thanks for the reply manesntails!! I don't know why I never thought of doing that. I'll start doing some of that with her :)

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. slc

slc Senior Member

I would not back the horse up as 'treatment' for a weak stifle.

First, I'd get the horse evaluated by a really good lameness vet and determine if the stifle really is the problem. I'd find out what the vet recommended for rehab and follow his or her program.

5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

That's been Vet recommended FOR YEARS.
    Just because you @slc, have no ideas doesn't mean you have to automatically diss a suggestion by others.

NaeNae and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  6. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

I wouldn't really seek a vet unless the horse was actually lame. Sounds like you're doing what needs to be done. Like manes said, backing will help those muscles as well.

7. CoopersPprScpr

CoopersPprScpr Senior Member

Another good one from one of our vets is with horse standing square (or close to), stand to the side and do a slight tail pull sideways. You'll see the muscle around the stifle contract - do pull, release 10-15 times per side.

8. brl_rcr72

brl_rcr72 Full Member

Like an above poster said, backing up is good for them. Also hill work is great for stifles, as are raised trot poles,
    If you can walk your horse over a hay bale or big log slowly one foot at a time so he has to really use those stifles to hold his legs as he takes that big slow step.
    Everything in moderation of course...hope this helps!

9. slc

slc Senior Member

A weak stifle to me, is a lame horse.

10. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

Oh please. Get real. All horses, and humans, for that matter ain't symmetrical
    Per the OP, she has been eased back into work and needs strengthening. Good lord. Weak is not always synonymous with lame
    For the op, I agree, hills, poles, volte over poles and raised poles/ items, and backing