Combined Driving photos

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by CheyAut, Nov 8, 2017.

1. CheyAut

CheyAut Senior Member

Two weekends ago, we had a one day CDE (like a full Combined Driving Event, except without the long marathon (we do have a small course) and informal. Here are photos my husband took, and videos from my GoPro wannabe. We have another this weekend (actually, two, one Sat and one Sun) and hubby will be taking pics then, too (he's without a suitable CDE horse at the moment, so he's being a wonderful photographer for me!).

I'll start with pics of me on this post, and on a reply I'll add other competitors.

The red horse is my gelding, Chili Pepper. He and I have been doing this sport for many years. We are currently competing in Intermediate level.

The "grey" horse (she's silver black) is my young mare, Vision. This year is her first year competing (this was her second event). She's on the slow side, but she's a good girl. I'm hoping with more experience and confidence, she'll pick up some speed. She's a green horse, hasn't been driven much. She was professionally trained by the same trainer I use, but owned by a friend, who only drove her a few times, then bred her, then gave her to me. I drover her a couple of times before foaling, then she had time off during/after foaling, now she's back at it. We were hoping she'd be my husband's horse, but she's not powerful enough for him (he and his cart weigh more than me and mine, and she's just not enough horse for him). So I'm enjoying competing her at Training level.

You may notice my cart is... unique. It's called a HyperBike, and it's built for performance. It's incredibly stable (being low, wide, and close to the horse) and very light. It's super easy for the horses to use, and they love it! I always thought they looked strange, and I had no interest in them. Until my friend "made" me try hers out at a driving darby. Chili HATED tight turns. We always took the long way, because he was happier that way. I put in him the bike and he turned on a dime! His preference for the bike vs the traditional easy entry mini cart was VERY obvious. That sold me right then and there on them!

For those unfamiliar with combined driving, it's driving's version of eventing. There are three phases. Dressage, Cones, and Marathon with hazards/obstacles. Cones is like stadium jumping, but you go through pairs of cones with balls on them. The higher level, the closer the cones get. Hit a cone, the ball falls off and you get penalties. The marathon w/ obstacles is the cross country phase, but instead of jumps, you go around/through things. Each one has different gates, and your level dictates how many gates you go through, in order. ABC for training, ABCD for Prelim, ABCDE for Intermediate, and ABCDEF for advanced. You're timed in the obstacles. In a 3 day CDE, the marathon has an optimal time, and you have a window to finish in of just minutes... too fast, or too slow, and you get penalties. You can learn more here
    The American Driving Society, Inc. > Events & Resources > Combined Driving

Our one day events are called ADTs, but ours are different from many other areas. ADT typically stands for Arena Driving Trial. But ours aren't held in an arena, and are closer to an actual CDE, so we call them Arizona Driving Trials.

Anyhow, here's photos of Vision

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's the GoPro wannabe video of us in the first 3 hazards

Hazard one is at the start, hazard 2 is about 5:40 in, and hazard 3 is about 8 minutes in.
    Hazard 4 is about 2 minutes in here:

2. CheyAut

CheyAut Senior Member

And Chili Pepper:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. CheyAut

CheyAut Senior Member

Chili's hazards videos:

1-3; 1 is at the start, 2 is about 4:50 in, and 3 is about 6:40 in

Hazard 4 is about 30 seconds in

4. CheyAut

CheyAut Senior Member

Other competitors: Oh, and a word about the team of 4 mini appies: The lead two are mares, the wheel horses are stallions. She trained them all herself, and she made all their harnesses herself. This was the first ADT for the 4, and the very first for one of the mares. She's pretty amazing.
    [​IMG]

What can I say, it was right before Halloween ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. CheyAut

CheyAut Senior Member

6. CheyAut

CheyAut Senior Member

7. CheyAut

CheyAut Senior Member

8. ginster

ginster Senior Member

Very cool!
    Chili is so cute! And that appy four in hand is very impressive!!

CheyAut likes this.
  9. slc

slc Senior Member

daaaang that hyperbike looks strange. you are so close to the horse. what happens when a mare takes a pee?

CheyAut likes this.
  10. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

That Hyper Bike is nuilt like a race bike. That is why your horse likes it. It is designed for comfort for the horse, stability, and to handle speed. (y)

CheyAut likes this.