Colonial Spanish Horse Training Journal

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by secuono, Jan 2, 2016.

1. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

Keep his head at your knee/thigh, no crossing from side to side and no nibbling on the pony horse! It is helpful to be able to move the pony horse around with seat/legs them you can essentially use both hands, one on the lead and one with a crop to control the ponied horse.

DelP and secuono like this.
  2. secuono

secuono Senior Member

Yup, need a lot more lead training with the little guy and fix his sticky feet...
    But it went better than before! We got several yards of decent walking, one spot of him refusing and swapping sides and then some more yards of walking before he was done with it altogether.
    Worked with my guy on some things and then worked with the little guy on his sticky feet afterwards.
    If the weather allows, I'll work with him every day for a couple weeks and then try ponying again.
    FB_IMG_1515794781692.jpg FB_IMG_1515794785475.jpg

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. secuono

secuono Senior Member

I found a western that fit him like a glove...that is, if the gullet was not so broad....It was short enough in bar length, something no other saddle had so far. I could even mount from the ground, with no cinch, it was wonderful, but didn't fully fit him. I wasn't comfortable in it at the trot though either.

He looks sexy in western, even more so in that particular saddle, but that may be because I love the style of it.

I did learn that my T4 Cob has too much rock in it and it's gullet also too broad. Angle was good in both. I haven't been able to find a T4 in regular tree to eliminate one problem.

He needs a point billet. Not many brands offer that. Contour and such girths don't work for him. He needs a saddle with little rock, but not so little as the Wintec and Bates had, also hate the feel of them. I only want a dressage saddle, having my legs bent gives me problems, both physically and in how I ride. Basically, with bent legs, I want to only spring out of the saddle, during spooks or trotting or other moments I'm currently forgetting since it's been so long, from my feet up, can not overcome that, lol. I could ride in that T4 all day long, every day, it's that comfy to me.

Why is saddle fitting so ridiculous?
    I want to ride!! He's getting so soft with his turns, but all I can think of is of his imperfectly fitting saddle and that brings on guilt and stress. =/

4. secuono

secuono Senior Member

Have another western on trial, 16". But would get a 14" if this one ends up fitting.
    He's too polite to outright tell me he rejects a saddle.
    So far, seems to be a good fit over all.

He was better able to understand my cues in this one than the other western saddles, not quite as good as the T4, but obviously there will be an adjustment and learning curve when going from near skin to skin and a broad leather fender between us.

5. secuono

secuono Senior Member

Tidily Wink's new saddle. Should of gotten the 14in. Ah well.
    Less rock and better fuller fit than the T4. Much easier for me to post or sit the trot in it than the T4, too. Need a thicker pad.
    20180404_183925.jpg

mooselady likes this.
  6. secuono

secuono Senior Member

Gullet fit. Not fuller...... =/

7. secuono

secuono Senior Member

He didn't like that saddle, sent it back.

mooselady likes this.