Colonial Spanish Horse Training Journal

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by secuono, Jan 2, 2016.

1. secuono

secuono Senior Member

Now that my boy is just days away from being dropped off at the trainers, I thought I should start a journal of his progress. He leaves for training on January 7th, 2016.

He is on a diet and a paddock paradise system is currently being installed for him and his two mini buddies. He's lost roughly 100 pounds so far and went from over the white bar(extra wide) on the Wintec gullet scale to just at the start of the red bar(wide). I'm hoping the track and regular riding will help keep his weight in a more normal and stable range.

This is my 9-10 year old Colonial Spanish horse, Corolla strain. He was born on the Currituck outer banks in North Carolina in 2006 and caught roughly as a yearling. He was adopted out soon after and that owner had him green broke. He then sat in a large pasture and herd until he was about 5 years old, that's when I got him to be a companion for the grey mare I used to own. Luckily, the Corolla Wild Horse Fund accepted my ownership of him after the fact, as he was not supposed to be sold or rehomed without their approval.

He was quite wild, super sensitive, highly reactive and untrusting. Honestly, I shouldn't of gotten him. But who would want a pony like him? I didn't want to risk having him end up in bad hands. He sat for a few years, doing much of nothing, until autumn 2014.

I started realizing how much he was like me when I was growing up. Which fueled my drive to work more and more with him every day. He learned how to be a trusting and willing horse and I learned how his mind worked and to be calm and trusting myself. I did a lot of bareback sitting around and eventual riding at a walk, which helped a ton with my balance and confidence. We had several mini breakthroughs in our journey thus far.

I'm super excited to see where he goes with the trainer and where we end up. I'm hoping to do lots of trail riding with him for many years in the future.

Anyway, this is from September 13th, 2015.
    september132015.jpg
    I can post other pictures and videos of our journey thus far if anyone is interested. If not, I'll only post new pictures and videos once training starts.

2. secuono

secuono Senior Member

Just signed us up for a Play Day at the barn. January 31st, lunch, obstacles and new people to meet. Hope he'll be ready for that new adventure!

3. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

Do you have any closer pictures of him?

4. secuono

secuono Senior Member

I have countless pictures of him. Anything specifically?
    Old pictures. Last one is where I'm hoping he will be come spring, though, that's still not fit.
    11696025_996812680352240_3889319603426965146_n.jpg 12232709_1059359404097567_929703238379639207_o.jpg d4.png

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. CheyAut

CheyAut Senior Member

He reminds me of one of my horses :)

6. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

He's an adorable fatty fat fat~!! :LOL: So cute. Why did you give him bangs? :(
    He has such a nice forelock.
    I'm excited to read your journal. Love reading this kind of stuff. I'm sure he'll be fine at the clinic and you will both come away from it feeling confident.

7. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

What a cute pony! I go up to Corolla every year for a week, my favorite place to go. Glad to see one of the equines from there is in a great home and doing well....

8. pamnbam

pamnbam Senior Member

He is a beautiful boy! I kind of like his bangs! :ROFLMAO:

9. peg4x4

peg4x4 Senior Member

Nice! Chunky boy,very sturdy and really cute..

10. secuono

secuono Senior Member

He had a rare and random tendency to spook when his hair was over his eyes. =/ Why use his ears, right?
    Grows fast, he got his warrior haircut earlier in fall, when I lost my metal comb and they went extra stupid with packing burs into their beautiful locks, but it's already down past his eyes.
    I trimmed up their mane and tails yesterday, going to brush his mane out and then get a picture, he looks cuddly when he's spiffed up a bit.