College admissions scandal

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by bellalou, Mar 14, 2019.

1. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

Yup,it's the believe that your kids won't be successful unless they graduate from certain prestigious colleges.
    What a way to f up your kid's future.

Puddincup and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  3. Pony123

Pony123 Full Member

As a highschool junior who is stressing over my SATs and studying like crazy to improve my scores and get into my state school this ticks me off so bad. These kids are supposed to be our future...

Puddincup, bellalou and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  4. emali06

emali06 Senior Member

I think its funny that people are shocked. This has been happening since the dawn of time. Same as legacy entrants or when rich people buy colleges buildings to have them named after them or sponsor programs, etc etc. There is always a way for the rich to buy their way into something. This method just got exposed.

Mcdreamer, NaeNae, endurgirl and 2 others like this.
  5. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I think the scandal has been known for some time, but this just hit the media. Kushner himself never had the grades or anything that qualified him to get into an Ivy League college, but a huge contribution to the school and bingo. People in the circle were really surprised as he was definitely not material.

I think all the kids need to be removed, they're very presence was bought by fraud. If you leave the players intact, it makes no sense just to punish the parents. I'm sure the vast majority knew palms were greased, strings pulled.

I also think legacies need to be abolished. Period

I believe contributions / donations to universities must not have any close family ties to incoming students. That could get sticky, but I figure it's enough that parents or guardians cannot get their charges in if they've donated. Personally I don't think there should be a time period exemption. A paper trail would exist for passing money to other relatives, they're sneaky. This has been going on for far too long and the many students passed over by those with extreme privilege is heartbreaking.

6. Preppy_Ponies

Preppy_Ponies Senior Member

It’s ridiculous but I’m 100% unsurprised. People with money have always found ways to buy their kids way into colleges. This guy went about in a uniquely underhanded way instead of the usually donating a wing or a building but it’s nothing new. It did make me laugh that my initial thought was that it sounded like something that would happen in the town I grew up in and then I found out that my old neighborhood was a buzz yesterday with several arrests related to this craziness:rolleyes:

mooselady and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  7. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Another one who has always known that money talks when it comes to getting college places.

What shocked me is the altering of grades and other methods, I thought Daddy or Mummy paid for a library or a gym and hey presto “welcome to our institution junior”

8. slc

slc Senior Member

Just how did Trump get into Wharton, lol.

9. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

Right. That’s the difference. I think it’s ridiculous that a huge donation is legal when it’s cleatl buying admission.

But even more I think it’s appalling that we’ve created a system where people are so focused on getting their kid into the “right” school that they resort to this. It’s absolutely absurd that preschool admission is highly competitive and it just gets more intense as the students move through school.

Yes legacies and building buyers have always been around but I think this points out a more recent phenomenon

I also think it’s ironic that so many people think affirmative action programs are unfair when in reality they benefit far fewer students than the blatant influence peddling of the rich.

10. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Just watching Trevor Noah from last night...he suggested that instead of spending all that money on getting kids into school, it would be cheaper to buy a smarter kid....maybe the beer made that funnier than it should be.

reicheru and bellalou like this.