Colic Remedy...Hoax or Real?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by BelgiLingerGal, Jan 22, 2010.

1. BelgiLingerGal

BelgiLingerGal Senior Member

http://www.southtexasecr.com/index.html

With all the frequent posts about colic, I found this "remedy" online. It seems colic always happens on a friday night after clinic hours. I've lost a horse to colic, and there's nothing worse than having a healthy happy horse one day, then burying them the next. I wonder if this stuff works. When there's no other choice, or a vet is unavailable, this stuff seems like a good solution. At least it would be something to try so you didn't feel so helpless. When reading through all the pages, it talks about the drugs that we give for colic actually slowing the bowels down...which isn't what we want in a colic situation. If anything, it's an interesting read and possibly an item for your first aid kit.

Amanda

2. MyBelgianAzzy

MyBelgianAzzy Senior Member+

I would be terrified to use anything that could potentially mask pain/worsening of colic symptoms. I'll stick to calling my vet after hours any paying the hefty emergency fee... colic isn't something I'm willing to fool around with or take a "wait and see" approach.

3. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member+

At $85.00 per 4 oz bottle, I would rather spend my cash on something or someone who would really be able to help my horse. Someone is making money on something that in all reality probably doesnt do a bit of good. Probably doesnt harm, but certainly wouldnt help much either.

4. shaiarabs

shaiarabs Senior Member+

I cant even find an ingredient list...

5. WhitneyM

WhitneyM Senior Member+

I was also looking for an ingredient list. I would think one of the problems is a horse that is already dehydrated will need to be rehydrated, just drawing more water from other places in a horse intestines isn't going to correct that. If the impaction does pass the whole impaction can reoccur if your horse is not drinking.

You also need to have a vet come out to figure out if there are any complications, just because a horse has an impaction doesn't mean their gut hasn't twisted. Also feeding that won't remove the material infront of the colic, this can place pressure on the horse causing pain.

Overall I don't think there is anything that can replace a vet that is knows what their doing. You should talk to your vet to see if they might have any other products they would recommend to help temporarily relieve pain until they can get there.

6. pantha11

pantha11 Senior Member+

I would also be reluctant to use anything, that does not give you an ingrediant.

There are so many drugs/herbs that interact badly with each other, and if your horse is on something and you give them this...goodness know what may happen.

I would be on the caution side, if you where to use this....maybe ask your local vet if he or can he/she find out info on it.

7. MaggieSue

MaggieSue Senior Member+

I have found that horses that are prone to colic, have great relief from consistent massages-it helps to keep everything moving in their system, and once it's continued that way-you don't need as many massages to keep them from colicking

8. HeatherCK11

HeatherCK11 Full Member

Snake oil...

9. zebecash2

zebecash2 Registered

Horse colic remedy

:pWell I have personally seen this product work, Equine Colic Relief. Over the last two years I have seen it work on at least 15 different cases of colic in my neighborhood area. And ALL the horses made it though without the assistance of a vet. All I can say is WOW!! :p:p:p:):):););). Who would have ever thought a simple product would work so GOOD and all for a small price of $85. I beleive we horse people now do have a first defense for colic and I for one am glad to put in a GREAT word for this product. I am so sorry to see people lose the wonderful horse to colic when it does not have to be that way. I for one am a believer of the product and will not be without it. Equine Colic Relief is not a HOAX!

10. JBandRio

JBandRio Senior Member+

Yep, that.