Coffin joint inflammation? Or? Pro-Stride treatment?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by RedBranchRun, Mar 6, 2018.

  1. BluemoonOKy

    BluemoonOKy Senior Member

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2013
    Messages:
    8,053
    Likes Received:
    14,437
    Do not rush to get the bars and heels down. If the navicular bursa is inflammed be conservative. I would take a little every 2 weeks and see how he does. Talk to the farrier and see how deep he thinks the sole is and leave enough bar and heel for support. Unless you have boots, do not take it all at once. I would have him on full turnout.as far as triple crown senior, I don't think 2 pounds is the recommended amount. If you're just doing it for the supplements, give a handful and switch to a ration balancer.
    I would get him on some rocks/ pea gravel/ asphalt. He needs some harder surfaces. Get out on some trails!
     
    GONE ROPING, ginster and RedBranchRun like this.
  2. RedBranchRun

    RedBranchRun Full Member

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2018
    Messages:
    28
    Likes Received:
    20
    Thank you so much Bluemoon.
    I feel like i have some sort of plan now. And yes ma'am, i will be happy to hit up those trails once this snow melts!

    Now because i am an over-thinker, this is what I worry about right now:
    When the vet and farrier tried to find pain initially, he had no reaction to hoof testers. The way they look, his feet that should be sore as all heck? He also came up sound after having the coffin joint blocked... however, we are 5 days out from the pro-stride injection into coffin joint, and i see very little improvement. Maybe its just deep bruising? I just want to make sure i'm not ignoring any other big underlying issues.

    Easy boots are also getting ordered today. I want to make sure i have them just in case.
     
  3. slc

    slc Senior Member

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2004
    Messages:
    22,650
    Likes Received:
    13,630
    Please follow the vet's advice. Rocky or gravel-y trails aren't really the best choice for a horse recovering from coffin bone inflammation.
     
    RedBranchRun likes this.
  4. manesntails

    manesntails Senior Member

    Joined:
    May 21, 2010
    Messages:
    35,692
    Likes Received:
    68,760
    He had no reaction from the hoof testers because hoof testers can't penetrate or flex the innermost capsule of the hoof.
     
    RedBranchRun likes this.
  5. RedBranchRun

    RedBranchRun Full Member

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2018
    Messages:
    28
    Likes Received:
    20
    I'm going to keep thanking everyone for the continued input. It helps!
    Spoke to vet this afternoon.
    He does not like that the horse is not any better after all this stall rest and the pro-stride injection. Wants to come out again before we (farrier) does anything to his feet. Is going to make some calls to other lameness experts around here and see what they think as well. Told me to keep him on bute and keep him stall rested. I keep wondering about the DDFT or collateral ligaments, but with the horse coming up sound as quickly as he did with the coffin joint being blocked, the vet doubts that is the case... and thinks this has to be in the coffin joint somewhere.
    I did bring up the issues with his hooves being unbalanced, but vet still thinks he should have shown some improvement post injection.
    Not sure where we are going to go from here. Waiting to hear back after vet does some consulting.

    Hearing the vet this concerned makes me worried. hopeful this isn't something worse than i thought.
     
  6. slc

    slc Senior Member

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2004
    Messages:
    22,650
    Likes Received:
    13,630
    I think the vet knows what he or she is talking about. Hang in there.
     
    RedBranchRun likes this.
  7. RedBranchRun

    RedBranchRun Full Member

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2018
    Messages:
    28
    Likes Received:
    20
    Thanks SLC- Quick update- vet is stumped. Told me to try shoes with pads, And go from there.
    Horse is still stall rested and on 2 grams of bute a day, but seems almost 100% sound.
    I do have some easy boot clouds on the way, along with a pair of easy boot gloves too.
    Farrier comes back next week Wednesday.
     
  8. manesntails

    manesntails Senior Member

    Joined:
    May 21, 2010
    Messages:
    35,692
    Likes Received:
    68,760
    Your vet is stumped because he doesn't know what a proper trim looks like.
     
  9. ~tiffy~

    ~tiffy~ Senior Member

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2008
    Messages:
    1,002
    Likes Received:
    840
    I agree. If the feet were in perfect condition and the horse was acting painful, I’d be more concerned.
    Get the feet as they should be and reassess.
     
  10. RedBranchRun

    RedBranchRun Full Member

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2018
    Messages:
    28
    Likes Received:
    20
    I am sorry if i'm annoying some of you to keep updating this thread, but had a potential change in diagnosis last night-

    Came home, and even though he is still on 2 grams of bute, and still on stall rest he again was worse. The night before he had looked close to 100%, but now he was having difficulty pivoting, and head bobbing again in his stall. This time, digital pulse was easily felt, and the hoof was warm/hot, and warm all the way up the fetlock. The other hooves were cool. No swelling.

    So now vet is thinking this has been potentially an abscess the entire time.

    Gave a gram of bute last night for pain. You can tell my gelding was laying down most of last night, and was laying down in his stall when we came in this morning. However, there was very little heat, and again he was better.

    I have never had an abscess come and go like this.. but we have been giving bute, stall resting and icing the foot.. instead of soaking in epsom, diapering, and turning out...
    Vet is coming back tonight. I HOPE this is what it is.
    Farrier comes back on Wednesday (he is out of town until then). Continue to work toward correctly balancing these feet!
     

Share This Page