Coffin joint inflammation? Or? Pro-Stride treatment?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by RedBranchRun, Mar 6, 2018.

1. RedBranchRun

RedBranchRun Full Member

I will get those for you in the morning! I'm sorry I totally missed it.
    Prostride:
    Owl Manor Veterinary | Regenerative Medicine | Pro-Stride | PRP | BMA

He said to keep him very quiet so he doesn't cause the area irritation again. He is diagnosed with synovitis of the coffin joint.

This is so odd because he was off then sound, off then sound.

I totally see the ridge too- I am trying to figure out what happened! He gets grass hay in hay bags and has turn out on limestone/dirt paddocks. Triple crown senior is his feed.

I'll get those photos asap - thank you!

2. RedBranchRun

RedBranchRun Full Member

Hi Bluemoon- here are the photos I could get. I am trying to treat the trush too, so the left foot looks more goopy than normal- I applied drycow right before the picture (whoops!!) Thank you again

Attached Files:

3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Those bars should be taken down.

4. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Whoa! I'd be lame too.

Bars need to be taken down. See the slightly taller ridge the whole way around the frog? That's the start of the issue. Likely some false sole will start shedding. Then it will be obvious that the toe/heel are too long as well.

Right now, that bar isn't allowing the frog to make contact with the ground. I'd be dollars to donuts he's lame in both feet, but just one is slightly more painful than the other right now so he's gimping on one.

New farrier #3 is needed ASAP.

5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Every time the hoof hits the ground, the concussion is being taken by the bars instead of thefrog. This sends a shock wave up through the hoof, first into the navicular area, then it travels through the rest of the hoof. Your feet would be sore too.

6. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

So, I would not be Injecting this horse. I would be dealing with that thrush primarily. And start to bring his frog into a healthy state. There is no excuse for thrush when hooves are managed properly. My horses are out 24/7 in the elements but can come across a rock dry lot into stalls. Mine do not get thrush because of the way they're trimmed. You need to soak those feet in clean trax per directions. And get after pin fire paint from your vet, which is like 40 % iodine (not 2% Betadine which won't work for this ) and start painting the hooves... and use a wire brush then paint with soft brush and use a syringe tip, without the needle, to get iodine up into the cracks and crevices. Some of the bar and heel needs to come off, but not too much while you build the frog into health . The horse, at this time, won't be able to stand the weight on his heels yet because the frog is not healthy. The object is to take enough away but not too much, like goldilocks...So the horse won't start toe walking, which will defeat the purpose.
    Tell me about the footing you have access to, both for turnout and work. What is horse's diet ? Work load, etc. Yes, you can and should look into easy boots while you're rehabbing. Seriously, I would not inject but focus on getting these feet managed correctly. That is the long term solution. Good luck !

7. BluemoonOKy

BluemoonOKy Senior Member

@RedBranchRun
    See these free educational resources and read, read, read and map hooves until you understand a bit, so you can start seeing what a good balanced hoof looks like.
    Home
    Read educational stuff and watch videos.
    I am currently reading Pete Ramey's book and every horse owner should read it.
    He does have free articles on his website
    Pete Ramey Hoof Rehab home. Horse hoof maintenance and care.
    Also he has stuff on YouTube.
    Easy care has some free articles on their blog
    EasyCare | EasyCare

RedBranchRun likes this.
  8. RedBranchRun

RedBranchRun Full Member

This has been SO helpful. Thank you!!! it has been a nightmare researching everything when I know this is wrong, but finding multiple things at once.

Unfortunately, I already had him injected.. but now, that foot is seeming sound to me.. and the left is lame. Exactly what you all are already saying.

Diet is 2pounds triple crown senior along with 2 cups flax, cosequin, msm, and full haybag of grass hay at all times. He is a super easy keeper.

Turnout- snow and ice right now. Under that, limestone and sand/clay base. No grass. For work we haul to an indoor at a very nice dressage arena with options of ground rubber footing or basic sand. It's nice stuff.

This is after the "new" farrier came out and trimmed him 2 weeks ago- he took the bars way down then too (from what they were, yikes) but wanted to be cautious. He told me the feet look rough and it's going to take time, and treat the thrush right away. I wish I had before shots. He is coming back next week to check and take more off. Should I let him have another go or should I look for a new person?

Again, thank you!

9. RedBranchRun

RedBranchRun Full Member

THANK YOU! so funny because my friend just dropped off Pete Rameys book for me this morning. Going to order some easy boots today

10. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

See if you can get him out this week, soon as possible. Bars will sometimes come down in layers if they are really overgrown.

RedBranchRun likes this.