Coat Colours That Change With The Wind

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Breezy2011, May 19, 2017.

1. Breezy2011

Breezy2011 Full Member

Does anyone else have horses that change colours a lot throughout the year? My black horse is pretty good, she is black during the winter, during shedding she turns black/brown then is black again all summer, but my palomino! She changes colour almost daily, from going extremely light to dark and every shade in between. I love her dark golden colour now, but I know it won't last, and within a few weeks she will be really light from fading from the sun, however, I do love that colour too!

Her colour last week:
    [​IMG]
    Yesterday:
    [​IMG]
    Winter time:
    [​IMG]
    Last summer:
    [​IMG]

Meanwhile my black horse...
    Winter, Summer, Current. Couldn't find any spring pics when she was shedding.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Who else has horses who change like my pally?

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

I just have an Appaloosa who seems to change colors (and gain white feet) randomly throughout the year. Sorry for the pic overload but she's got a lot of changes! Last photo is current.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bebe, ginster, Saph and 1 other person like this.
  3. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

My Welsh is a silver dapple with white mane and tail in the summer. In winter, she is a Wooly Mammoth palomino.

4. Breezah

Breezah Senior Member

I used to have a buckskin that had some wonky coloring. I didn't know her breeding as she was grade though I was told she was mixed, so I sometimes thought she might have been part appy (my best guess, due to her short tail), or was a rare buckskin roan.

Her summer coat was a light gold, but she had grey/white speckles on her hocks, knees, hindquarters and at the top of her crest like a roan would. And she had a few corn marks more visible in the summer, which is common with roans.

In the winter, she dappled out and looked more grey. It was weird. I never did really know the real story behind her colouring.

Late spring:
    [​IMG]

Summer when her new owner bought her:
    [​IMG]

5. Blue-Roan

Blue-Roan Senior Member

My blue roan QH changes colour all the time. Usually, he's almost black in wintertime, turns almost white (minus the head and legs) during shedding season, and darkens again once he's fully shed out. For whatever reason, he's a lot darker this summer than last summer. Last summer he looked like an actual roan. Now he looks nearly black.

6. Breezy2011

Breezy2011 Full Member

My palomino is a lot darker this year then last year also. Any pics of your blue roan? I personally LOVE blue roans.

7. Blue-Roan

Blue-Roan Senior Member

Sure! I'll try to find some today.

8. Blue-Roan

Blue-Roan Senior Member

The day I got him, in his stall at the auction:
    IMG_0281.JPG
    Later that summer:
    IMG_0948.JPG

Winter:
    IMG_2766 (1).JPG

This spring (March):
    IMG_3495.JPG IMG_3525.JPG
    April:

IMG_3886.JPG
    A few weeks ago:
    IMG_4101.JPG
    Yesterday:
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg

He can change drastically in the space of a few weeks. I know, I know. Too many pictures. But pictures of my horse occupy 90% of my camera roll so I had to share some of them.

Attached Files:

Saph, ginster, Dream27 and 2 others like this.
  9. CheyAut

CheyAut Senior Member

My roans and silvers are the biggest color changers, but of course my appies change as well. No pics right now, I'm not at home.

10. DocsLglyBlonde

DocsLglyBlonde Senior Member

My mare is dunalino (palomino dun) and changes color quite a bit. She's always light in winter, but will keep darker points. Right now she's getting pretty dark for the summer, which is typical, but she still has some shedding out to do. Photos are in order from this winter before full clip, then full clip (she was peachy white for a few weeks. Lol), late winter starting to grow in some dark, pretty sure she then got lighter again, then the last two from today (the one in the shade makes her look a little darker than reality, but that's about the shade she gets at the darkest). She's getting pretty dark, and should darken some more as she gets rid of more hair, but she's never a dark golden color. She darkens with sun though, never bleaches. When she had a long mane, that side of her neck was always lighter than the other in summer!

Attached Files:

Saph and Blue-Roan like this.