Club foot - can they go barefoot?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Bernardo, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Bernardo

Bernardo Senior Member

Well Brandi girl is getting turned out Sept 1 full time because my show season will be over because school is starting. Anyways I'm really curious as to whether or not its possible for her to go barefoot up front even with a clubbed foot? I've never had a horse club foot really and she's had shoes on since I owned her because of shoeing.

What are the chances of her being sound outside barefoot? Is the shoe needed to keep the club foot from getting all funny or as long as she's trimmed well she's fine?

2. 805Farrier

805Farrier Full Member

Hows the quality of her wall and foot in general? Is she a tenderfooted horse even with shoes? I have plenty of horses on the books that are trims and have a club foot. I guess it also depends on the severity of the club foot as well!

3. fisheadtony1

fisheadtony1 Senior Member

Simple answer. Yes she might be able to go barefoot.

Simple answer. It depends.

Plenty of factors to consider.

4. Bernardo

Bernardo Senior Member

Well she had some other issues like contraction and her toe was curling and her white wall was somewhere it wasnt suppose to be (to the point where the farrier couldn't trim a lot of unless he wanted to make her bleeed- which he didnt of course).

I think her club foot is pretty bad but manageable.

I guess we'll have to see how she does.

5. IIIBarsV

IIIBarsV Senior Member

Here's my assessment list- look at these for all four hooves.

- Sole concavity, good or flat.

- Frog condition, contracted or open...

- Hoofwall's thickness or strength.

If she's flat-soled with a crappy frog and her hoofwall is really soft, then no, she's probably not a great candidate- at least for *immediate* soundness. If she's got good sole concavity, her frog is reasonably healthy (no thrush etc), and her hoofwall is pretty strong or thick, then she's probably a good candidate for immediate soundness.

The only way to really know for sure is to pull the shoes, and walk/trot around on hard or rough surfaces and see how she does- PRE trim.

6. crayon

crayon Senior Member

I'm glad to put this part at the end because I was going to say that many shod horses have contracted heels/frogs and flat soles that "straighten out" with proper barefoot trimming. So... she may be able to go barefoot and she may not.

I used to ride at a barn who had a retired horse with a club foot. He was barefoot and ran around in the field quite often. Not sore, but they didn't ride him. IT realtly depends on the horse. :)

7. IIIBarsV

IIIBarsV Senior Member

Indeed, I own a couple too and this is most often the case. One of mine was immediately sound, one was not sound for quite a while. I do have a club-footed mare who has been barefoot most of her life and she's sound as a post (even with a grungy frog). But she also grows a TON of hoof and it's so hard that it dulls a brand new rasp in one trim, and has a lot of sole.

Looking at the aforementioned guidelines will give you a good estimate of how well or not the horse may handle barefootin-it... unless of course you're planning to do a bunch of rehab on the hooves, which I'm not sure Bernardo is. As far as I know, she is not planning to go "Natural Barefoot Hoofcare" on Brandi, and the current farrier will continue to work on the horse. That in itself can make a big difference as to how well or not the horse might handle barefoot.

The end question is, Natural Trim or Not, will this horse stay sound? We're trying to look at the overall quality of the hoof horn/sole growth and its rate of growth. (From a point in time which is hopefully several weeks after the last reset).

Some horses stay sound no matter what type of trim they get, unless someone really does a hack job on the hoof. Ie, some horses go lame without enough hoofwall on the bottom of the hoof, others can handle an excessively done roll and no hoofwall support without taking a gimpy step. "Lame" in terms of, "Lame anywhere" or "lame on hard surfaces".

If for whatever reason Brandi has a less than stellar quality of horn and growth rate, then Bernardo can decide to keep shoes on for now and hopefully look into why the horse might have a less than stellar hoof, and what can be done to fix it. (Diet, trim style, etc)...