Clipping? And how to do mane?

Discussion in 'Horse Grooming' started by void, May 1, 2018.

1. void

void Registered

I have an App mare who has never grown a very thick winter coat. This year she grew a little more hair than usual as I tried to blanket less, but now when I arrive at the barn she's already sweating in 65 degree weather (and this week it's in the 80s!). I curry for hours and the hair keeps coming. After a ride she is soaked and takes forever to dry. I feel like it may be easier on me and more comfortable for her to just clip, but I've never been without a trainer to advise me so I don't want to go for it without some kind of confirmation that this is a good idea, lol.
    Also, on a semi-related note - my trainer left a year or two ago and she was always the one who did her mane, so I never learned how. And this might sound dumb, but pulling only thins it out, right? I really like the "mohawk" or just short enough that it doesn't really sit calmly on one side, more like it goes up the middle in a pseudo-floppy-mohawk? :LOL: I did read online some people shave the mane and then trim as it grows in to keep it standing up but I really don't want to shave her mane!
    Some pics attached of the mane I like.
    (I know - I'm blessed with an App with a full, thick, beautiful tail and mane and I just want to chop it off...)

Attached Files:

2. Cynical25

Cynical25 Senior Member

Clipping now is a waste of your time - it will just shorten the winter hair which will eventually still fall out from the roots. Lots of currying will encourage the hair to release. How cold is it; does the horse still NEED a blanket? If she's not blanketed, she'll be able to roll, which will naturally help the hair shed faster...

3. Kristal H

Kristal H Senior Member

We body clip year around, with a white coat sometimes I clip right before a show with darker coats I like to clip a month before.

FaeriesFaith likes this.
  4. greenpaintpony

greenpaintpony Senior Member

Where are you? The weather's been so wonky this year that I'd give her two weeks and see if she sheds pretty quickly, which would not surprise me. How much of a coat does your horse still have? If you're really impatient, I know @frisco17 clips horses to skip the shedding phase pretty often and does it well/doesn't have issues with the summer coat coming in.

Also, do you fox hunt? It looked that way in the trailer photo! Always love having more field hunters here! Cute horse! :)

frisco17 likes this.
  5. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I wouldn't clip now because you are clipping the beginning of the summer coat as well.

Just spend some quality time with that gorgeous, loud Appy and set yourself up with a 5gallon bucket of warm water, a sponge, a scraper, and a wool cooler. Give her a bath with just water to rinse off the salt from the sweat. Scrape the excess water off, towel dry her face and legs, throw a cooler on her and walk her, if she is blowing, or set her up in the shade with a hay bag if she isn't and let her dry.

6. frisco17

frisco17 Senior Member

Yup! I’ve never had an issue with summer coat coming in or it being “brittle/dull” afterwards. I clip every spring and sometimes fall.

7. frisco17

frisco17 Senior Member

If you’re going to body clip, you have to do it now. Waiting too much longer and you run the risk of sunburning without a sheet once you hit full summer weather.

8. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Aren't you trying to figure out how to cut her mane that way? I've no idea personally as I never did it that way before.

Is that your mare in the photo?

9. CautionWetPaint

CautionWetPaint Senior Member

I have no idea for the clipping part, as I have never body clipped before. As for the mane, Most horses I see with this type of mane (mine included) are due to a mane that was cut to about 2-3 inches in length. I always cut my horses manes right before I show after I have banded them. When the bands come out the mane stays flat for a day or two and then usually becomes a mohawky two-sided looking mane. Judging by the pictures you posted this looks to be the way that your mares mane was achieved. You don't have to band the mane to cut it evenly, simply spray it down with water, brush it so it's all on one side of her neck, and then cut it while wet. When it's dry brush it to the same side you first cut it on, and trim away any parts that are too long or uneven. If this is your first time cutting a mane, don't worry too much about uneveness. The nice thing about hair is that it will grow back, and practice makes perfect!
    And as far as pulling the mane goes, it does thin the mane out but it also does shorten the mane. I know how to do it, but as for explaining it on here, not so much. I will let someone else take a whack at that lol. When I was in college we had to shorten the manes by pulling, but I find cutting is much easier, quicker, and for showing achieves the look I want better. Plus my horse has nothing for a mane, so what little he does have I definitely don't want to lose by pulling.
    Here's a pic of my old mares mane un banded and untamed. Is this the look you are going for?
    [​IMG]

Alsosusieq2 likes this.