Clinton Anderson?

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by LaurenOelker, Mar 20, 2016.

1. LaurenOelker

LaurenOelker Senior Member

who uses his methods?
    what are your opinions on it?

2. fennecfox

fennecfox Senior Member

He teaches the same basics of horsemanship that all the other "NH gurus" teach. Nothing he teaches is BAD, it's just expensive and branded. He's a schmuck and has made a ton of money from marketing his "methods."

3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

He's a little tougher and pushes horses farther in one go than I do but he's just showing you how to read horses and, if you're clever and have natural ability, will help you learn how to train your horse.

Sadly, not enough people have that much natural ability or are clever enough to do it right off watching the videos.

4. Sooner or Later

Sooner or Later Senior Member

I know a couple of people who use his methods... I think one does pretty well with it, the other, not so much.

Personally, I would not. But to each their own.

Alsosusieq2 and LaurenOelker like this.
  5. Mirage

Mirage Senior Member

I used his method to train my current horses. It worked really well. I like watching his videos on YouTube. And sometimes you can find some of his books and videos cheap on Amazon.

Like Manes, I think he is a little more rough than I would be. And I don't agree with how much he always has the horses flexed. But there are some aspects of every training method I don't like.

6. DancingArabian

DancingArabian Senior Member

I used his methods when I first got my horse, and my horse really turned around and became a good citizen. He really sparkled using the techniques/methods and things I saw in the video (I focused a lot on the positioning of his body and the visual cues the horse was giving towards what it was thinking). That being said, I have a good enough relationship with my horse now that it frequently draws comments from people (other boarders, people at clinics, people on the trail, etc) that it's hard to believe he was a lunatic when I got him (not his fault, he didn't know better). Edited to add: I used his groundwork techniques, I don't know if he has riding videos but I did not try any of them if he did.

I didn't do the flexing thing, though. That seemed silly.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    Alsosusieq2, LaurenOelker and Mirage like this.
  7. palogal

palogal Senior Member

I like his groundwork methods a lot and they work well. I can't stand the way he rides. I don't like jelly necks and btv

8. seaecho

seaecho Senior Member

He's good for teaching how to get your horse's respect, but I agree with Manes that he pushes horses more than I would. He really gets them lathered up and panting! But his methods have helped me a lot, and I've seen a big difference after using his ground work. Especially the "sending" exercises. These are very useful for if you can't get your horse to, say, to go over a small crack in concrete, or something else that the horse is suspicious of. You can hop off and "send" him over to make it safer for you. I've "sent" my horse up and down the sides of a wash to teach him to keep his legs under him and be more sure footed. Comes in very handy later on when you're riding!

But . . . sometimes he has to really jerk a horse HARD if the horse is especially obstinate when he's lunging, and this might work with younger, strong people, but if you're over 40, you'll have a tough time of it. I think this is partially why some are successful and others aren't. Also, a lot of people are not "strict" enough with their horses, and if you don't have Clinton there yelling at you to do it NOW, you are likely to be too slow on the draw, and the horse ultimately wins.

9. LaurenOelker

LaurenOelker Senior Member

I watched a lot of his videos before I like most of his ground work . except for horses that was extremely reactive. I think constantly coming at them until the calm down just worsens things and makes the horse come unglued instead of calming down. I used some of that method in a different way to work better with the mustangs I worked with.
    also what do you guys think about the flexing? and one rein stops? etc?

Alsosusieq2 and manesntails like this.
  10. DancingArabian

DancingArabian Senior Member

I think the flexing thing was silly.

I'm not a big fan of one rein stops the way many people teach them. I don't remember offhand how CA demonstrates a one rein stop, but I know a lot of videos combine a one rein stop with disengaging the hindquarters. That is just fine at a walk, but if you one rein stop a runaway horse and he disengages his hindquarters, you are literally asking for your horse to turn into a centrifuge and fling you off! I do feel that it's important to know how to do a one rein stop just in case, but I don't feel it's the end all solution. I prefer to use a pulley rein in the extremely rare occasion I have to stop a runaway.

I feel that part of the problem with videos is that people tend to treat their horse exactly the way CA (or any other instructor) is treating the horse in the video, and not necessarily how the horse needs to be treated as an individual. I think it's important for a handler to know their horse, or to at least be able to read their horse, to understand if that horse really needs to be worked into a lather before that lightbulb moment happens or if less intensity will work better.