Clicking joints

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Anna Giuda, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Anna Giuda

Anna Giuda Full Member

In the past week, I’ve noticed my 10 y/o gelding has developed a loud click in his front right (we think) leg. Every time he picks up his leg to take a step there is a very loud, obvious click. It doesn’t seem to hurt him or affect his ability at all, but I am worried that maybe this sudden onset of clicking might indicate an underlying issue. Does anyone have any input as to what it might be/ any experience with clicking joints?

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

How does he move? Does he paddle, or wing? Usually you get clicking in the hocks with horses who are conformationally inclined to swivel their hocks when they move.
    It's a popping where the tendon and joint cross one another. It may or may not mean much. You would have to get the horse checked by a vet and ultra sounded to see what's going on.

Sometimes Adequan IM injections will get rid of it, sometimes not; it depends on the situation.

Rhythm 'n Blues likes this.
  3. bobo and horses

bobo and horses Senior Member

Is this the same 10 year old that had all the medical problems, and you were thinking of selling/retiring?

4. Anna Giuda

Anna Giuda Full Member

@bobo and horses yes it is. I’m actually surprised someone remembers him we are working with a trainer currently and his (many) medical issues have disappeared, hopefully for a long, if not permanent, time.
    @mainsntails, he doesn’t usually paddle/swim when he moves, and if he does it is only when he performs his “sideways trot” maneuver. I will ask the vet to look at it when she comes for the botulism vaccines.

manesntails likes this.
  5. Rhythm 'n Blues

Rhythm 'n Blues Senior Member

Manes is right. It can mean nothing and it can mean something. She's also right in what creates the clicking/popping sound.

Fez has had that sound since the day I bought him. As he warms up, the sound disappears completely. In the summer you hear it far less than in the winter. Surprisingly enough - it comes from 1 of his 2 best legs.....currently I'd have to say the strongest leg that horse has given what he's going through. It has NEVER bothered him, and all x-rays of that limb are 100% perfect given his age & career. So I have left it, and done nothing and he has continued to have zero issues in that limb for 9 yrs now :)

6. Misty H

Misty H Full Member

Souvie clicks when he walks. But he is 19 y/o 20 on May2nd I give him MSM joint supplements and it seems to help greatly. Years ago when he was 4 he received a hock injury but that has been cleared to giving him any issues now. His popping is just his age. If vet clears him try him on some joint supplements and see if it clears up.