Cleaning Rust from bits?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Touch the Sky, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Touch the Sky

Touch the Sky Senior Member

So, i have a few bits for sale in classifieds, and some of them needed to be cleaned because they had some rust in them in spots. They have all been cleaned, but now i am curious as to how you guys would have gone about it? I boiled them all in really hot water to sterilize and loosen up the dirt and rust, and then i went at them with some steel wool. It gets the job doen, but it can make for some sore fingers. Anyone know a quicker way to clean them up?

2. .Delete.

.Delete. Senior Member

EDIT:

I just looked at the pics, once rust has started to form there is no real way to stop it or remove it from the surface. Personally I find horses prefer rusted bits over the steel ones.

3. Touch the Sky

Really? I didn't know that. Of course, i am known as the "bit nazi" because i make sure very single bit is wiped down and cleaned after every single ride. I also try to oil bridles after most rides. ESPECIALLY if i am riding someone else's horse with their tack. And, i have found that you can get most rust off. As soon as my camera charges i will show you the before/after pics on the d-ring.

4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

If it's one of those chromed bits and the chrome came off (sorry, didn't go look at the pictures of the bits in question) then throw it away. If it's a sweet iron bit, they are made to rust. Horses like the taste. The difference is that the chromed bits, you don't want horses ingesting chrome so they are not useful after the coating starts to peel.

3 people like this.
  5. Touch the Sky

I just want to get the sides cleaned up. found another Loose Ring, that will fit one of my horses, and the middle is a little rusty, but the rings are super rusted. I want to get those cleaned, but the rust doesn't seem to be coming off with just the steel wool. I had someone tell me that soaking in vinegar might do the trick, but that might take a lot of vinegar.

6. .Delete.

.Delete. Senior Member

Manes, would sanding it down make sense? To get rid of all the bad chrome

7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Usually, chromed bits started off as cheap bits. Not worth my effort.

3 people like this.
  8. ILuvMyAppyQH

ILuvMyAppyQH Senior Member

The rusted Dee ring you have and all of the western curb bits are junk - toss them or sell them for a few bucks per piece. None of them are sweet iron.

2 people like this.