Cleaning a moldy saddle...

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Cyn, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Cyn

Cyn Senior Member+

What is the best way to clean a moldy saddle?... It is leather. It was left in my trailer tack room over the winter and is completely covered in mold. a really thick layer of it.

2. yamasays

yamasays Full Member

yuck! is it a nice saddle underneath all that mold atleast?

3. Chester

Chester Senior Member+

Cyn, when ours got a bit on it due to this wet weather we wiped them down with a rag in a bucket of warm water with some vinegar in it. The rag got rinsed every wipe as we didn't want to just spread the spores.

When it was all clean it got a thorough saddle soaping and conditioner.

4. Callie's Mom

Callie's Mom Senior Member+

I'm going to watch this thread as I have the same problem because I left my saddle in a friends trailer tack room and it got some it as well.
    I was just going to clean it with leather cleaner and conditioner but I am interested to hear if I need another step (like vinegar water) before the leather cleaner/conditioner.

5. horse345

horse345 Senior Member+

6. Cyn

Cyn Senior Member+

I will try the vinegar. I feel bad as it isn't my saddle. Maybe I will get some before and after pictures....soon.

7. Tack Collector

Tack Collector Senior Member+

We have several threads on mold. Find them with the search.

Start outdoors, with a can of compressed air. Blow off as much mold as you can dislodge that way. Them start cleaning.

Toss any rags or sponges that you used on that saddle. If you want to use leather CPR as the top coat, get the liquid kind, pour some out into a container, and use some disposable implement to apply. Leather CPR's sponge will get mold spores in ti, grow mold there and in the creamy CPR, and that will cross contaminate tack. You'll wind up throwing the whole thing out. For saddle soap, use Leather New or Lexol pH or some other thing in a spray bottle, for the same reason - avoid cross contaminating.

Cyn likes this.
  8. cassidy

cassidy Senior Member+

ive doen it a few times an i find just giving it a good wash/wipe over with warm water is great then obviousyl soap it afterwards :)

9. Trace

Trace Senior Member+

If you are in an area that does have humidity - be careful not to use an oil - as this is a food for the oil.

I have killed mold with lysol per my saddle shop and then continued with the saddle soap.

Good luck - its icky - I know. :(

10. TearUh

TearUh Registered

I would wipe with damp cloth and vinegar then clean with saddle soap and then i put mint mouth wash to keep it off