Chunk of sole ripping out?

Discussion in 'Horse Health' started by Twistedbeauty, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Twistedbeauty

Twistedbeauty Full Member

IMG_7449.JPG IMG_7453.JPG IMG_7454.JPG Was picking out my horse's hoof when my pick got stuck. Cleaned it with a wire brush and saw a chunk of what seems to be the sole hanging on. That trench along my horse's hood wall is due to an abscess she had, but is it really supposed to be that large and deep? I've been putting Absorbine Thrush Remedy on it to try and prevent anything but I don't know if it's working. She's getting trimmed tomorrow but I was wondering what other people think too. Her sole is peely and chalky from the moist ground. She's outside 24/7 and her diet is pasture only.

2. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Peely and chalky sole is dead sole that needs to come out— like that chunk. It’s just dead stuff clogging up the foot. It’s a little hard to tell with just those pictures, but from what I can see and from the chunk of dead sole that fell away, this horse hasn’t been getting properly trimmed for a while.

3. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I would get the farrier to shoe her up front with pads and pack her feet with okum.

LoveTrail likes this.
  4. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Full Member

This is what I thought too. The sole has to shed the dead parts.

Arem and Twistedbeauty like this.
  5. Twistedbeauty

Twistedbeauty Full Member

What does it do?

6. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Full Member

It pads the sole.

Twistedbeauty and manesntails like this.
  7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

In this case it will help fill in the area that is missing in the sole, thus providing support to the hoof and helping the concussion to remain even across the hoof. The pad provides further support and protection to the sole while the hoof is growing back out.

8. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Taking out the rest of the dead sole and giving the hoof a proper trim will even it all up, too, and will be better for the horse long term.

Horses don’t just loose chunks of healthy sole. They loose the dead stuff that needs to come out.