Chirstmas Rant

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Touch the Sky, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

My family stopped gifting when I had my kids. I was not happy about it. I had spent years buying nice gifts for my.nieces. But I enjoyed making them happy.

Now they have grandchildren and I won't start buying gifts again. So now that is a sore point. But by the time I have grandkids, these guys will be in hiighschool.

Stick to your own budget. It really won't matter in the long run.

ginster, Alsosusieq2 and Larkspade like this.
  2. Arem

Arem Senior Member

Last year, I gave a friend of mine a crocheted scarf for Christmas. You would have thought I gave her gold. We need more people like her in the world.

We have gift troubles in my family, too. Usually, though, it’s one of the ones with the money to spare that is trying to cheap out or eliminate gift giving among us siblings/sibling spouses. It’s like, really?! You can afford it! I can’t, really, but I do it anyway. Because I like it. Because giving gifts is supposed to be a fun thing done out of love. Let go of your pennies and learn how to have fun, Scrooge.

I’m worried this year, though. We’re up to 7 kids now— my nieces and nephews. That’s a lot of kids. And a lot of gifts. And not much budget to go around. Going to have to get creative. If I suggest drawing names, the same person who tries to cheap out every year will likely throw a fit about her precious angels not getting as many gifts. But I’d rather a few nice gifts than 7 cheap, cheesy, easily forgotten ones. I like to put thought into it and get something really nice, even if it’s not expensive. That gets hard with so many different gifts, though.

And as far as a $40 dollar limit? I know families with $20 limits. $40 is more than reasonable. I’ve never spent more than $20 on a gift, and I’ve spent less, too.

3. PyroTekNik333

PyroTekNik333 Senior Member

Our family draws names. We do an adult pool with the 7 siblings and 4 SOs and a kids pool with the 12 cousins all gifting each other.
    $20 limit for adults and I believe its $10 for the kiddos but I don't have a kid in the pool so that may have changed.

I quit giving my nieces and nephews gifts when a couple but one in particular had a huge meltdown one year when I couldn't afford it. Surrounded by a pile of toys and presents crying :no:

Now instead I take them on little trips when I can afford it throughout the year.
    That way they get something more memorable than another matchbox car and I get to spend one on one time connecting with them.
    And no more Christmas meltdowns.

Binca, Arem and Touch the Sky like this.
  4. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

I stopped attending family holidays, they get gifts but I drop them off in advance and they get what they get.
    I put a lot of thought into my gifts but I pay what's in my budget.
    My dad didn't get me a gift last year since his gf hates me but I still dropped one off for everyone. (Still ****ed off he did that, could care less about the actual gift but I would like to think he cared)
    I spend my holidays with my friend and her husband now. I think of them as my family. Both are actual families are not that great so we made our own.
    Mine is super religious, abandoned me when I needed them most and are judgemental.
    Hers is super judgemental except for a select few.
    So here we are the black sheep.

Do what you can, but don't let them push you.

Binca, ginster and Larkspade like this.
  5. RG NIGHT HEIR

RG NIGHT HEIR Senior Member

Once you start worrying about finances because of Christmas and having to buy presents ,all the Joy of giving is gone and the real reason why Christmas is being celebrated.
    I would opt out,stand up for yourself girl.

SinMiedo, Arem and ginster like this.
  6. froglander

froglander Senior Member

When I was little and the number of cousins was growing we started drawing names between the cousins. We’d get something from grandma and I think my mom’s generation just focused on us kids at that point. Then as we got older we all joined in on each buying one gift and we’d pick one from the pike, swap, etc. that was fun. And then as my cousins had kids now there was a younger generation that would have a gift to open while the adults did their silly thing.

Havent been home for Christmas since I moved across the country, Miss them

Has been interesting adjusting to new traditions of hubby’s family but it’s been fun. Less people and the kids are still young.

Don’t let rotten people ruin Christmas for you :(