Chiropractics? Real or nonsense?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NaeNae, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

This thread jinxed me! Have a call in to April's favorite awesome chiro. Trouble flexing to the right, moving shoulders over yo the left and cannot counter canter on the right lead.

Dream27, Alsosusieq2 and gaitedboomer like this.
  2. gaitedboomer

gaitedboomer Senior Member

^^^^^There are times I won't open a thread for that very reason --- possibly being jinxed, lollol

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

You ought to try it with a reputable physical therapist. It will change your mind.

ChestersMomma likes this.
  4. Alsosusieq2

Yes. Doctors aren't taught to think outside of the box, if a prescription doesn't fix it they're lost.

It's connectivity. Balance. Many things I don't understand, but I do know relief.

5. slc

slc Senior Member

I was referring to chiropractors, not physical therapists. They're not the same.

I have worked with physical therapists a lot and have been very happy with the results. I had a very serious pain issue a few years ago which PT helped immensely.

There is no way I will change my mind about chiropractors. About anything else, fine, but not that.

6. wpgrider

wpgrider Senior Member

I had pretty severe injuries (concussions, severe neck strains, etc) from football, and chiro is part of several therapies I have used to keep playing and I no longer have debilitating tension headaches and nausea. Massage, chiro, athletic therapy, and acupuncture. Is it 'the' answer? Probably not. But it helps and is covered by insurance so... I can be fairly certain it does not hurt.the process.

7. HayleyS

HayleyS Senior Member

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to move if it wasn't for my chiro. That being said, yes, I feel like the chiro field attracts a lot of quacks.

I have some spine issues, and old injuries, that flare up or are a constant issue in my life. I don't go in on a regular schedule, but when I lose the ability to move I make an appt and he fixes me. Normally in only one appt.

But, the thing I love him most for is my rib. I have floating rib syndrome, which if you don't know what that is it is when you have a rib that dislocates on a regular ,or semi-regular, basis. I am of the opinion just taking it out would be awesome, however, I've yet to find a doc to agree with that plan, and I don't like their plan, so when I dislocate it I go see my chiro, he puts it back and gives me a talk about making better life choices, I nod, and go back out to my crazy life.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  8. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

I've had good experiences with chiro myself. I used to have a lot more chronic lower back pain (lots of riding accidents, plus a car accident), but regular chiro and massage helped and now I don't usually have pain. This has been for like the last 7-8 years now. The guy I went to adjusted and gave exercises to help between adjustments, like @DocsLglyBlonde said.

I've also had great results with my horses when using a chiro. Matter of fact, I believe the only reason my old TB recovered from his injury was due to chiro. As soon as we started having regular chiro done on him, there was immediate improvement. He went from cantering on 3 legs (he walked on all 4, but walked very odd and didn't trot because he was so lame, but he still wanted to run and play, so would just run on 3 legs because it was a hind leg injured), to cantering on all 4 immediately, then to eventually being sound at the walk and trot. It was amazing because I thought I was never going to be able to ride that horse again and he went back to competing and winning.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

My mom gets chiropractic treatment for her sciatica and without it they could not walk during a flareup.She has arthritis and her SI gets inflamed causing the sciatica. She also sees her GP regularly.

My old trainer used to suffer from debilitating migraines. She would end up closed up in her bedroom, under the covers, for a day or two. This is a woman who is very active. Rides her motorcycle to give lessons, sails with her sons, rides horses obviously, etc etc. She had tried every med, every holistic treatment, every everything and eventually gave in and tried chiro. She has not had a migraine since starting regular chiropractic work.

Myself? I went once. I do have a "crick in my spine" from an old riding accident on a crazy mare. I went to this guy who did xrays and then did a series of half-*** stretches and then put me on this god awful old roller table of some sort that kept turning off. I would like to try again now with a very well-renowned chiro in the area that is associated with the health system I work for.

There can be quacks in any realm. Quack psychs, quack plastic surgeons, quack dentists, etc. If it helps you, great.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. Alsosusieq2

The pt I know does exactly what the chiropractic does. She doesn't crack anything though, it's called something else, but is the same thing, just without force. I forget what it is called, but it's manipulation and release. Sometimes you can feel a click, sometimes it's more subtle. I'm sure there are chiros who do this too. I'm not a fan of the cracking myself after having so much success with the less aggressive method.