Chiropractics? Real or nonsense?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NaeNae, Jun 13, 2018.

1. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

I've been going to a chiro for years. Usually once a month for "body maintenance" sometimes a bit more often if I feel really messed up. Haven't been for a good two years now since the office I was going to moved away and I'm not willing to drive to where they are now at, and haven't put in the time to find a new one.

Mentioned to the BF a while ago about starting the search for a new chiro and he jumped on me about how chiropractics is a hoax and there's no science behind it and it's been disproven to be real. I've thought about it from time to time but am really deciding to search and look into his "claims" now as I'm curious. I feel like he probably heard it on the Joe Rogan podcast and, bless his heart, he thinks JR is the lord's gift to the world most days. :rolleyes:

For me, I've mostly always felt that the chiro has helped me. Placebo? Actual physical manipulation? I don't know. But it helps. I've always believed in it.

Do you? Thoughts? Articles to read? I'm starting my search now...

2. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

I listened to the Science Vs. podcast about chiros.

Here's what I found, and it is probably true: backs, necks, etc. can probably be helped.

Fixing migraines and world hunger, probably not.

So, attend wisely, don't let it become a money sucker. But if it helps you, go for it.

VermilionStrife and tlwidener like this.
  3. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

See I've never once heard of any chrio that does anything other than spine manipulations. I've never heard of one claiming they can fix migraines, or diets, or anything other than SKELETAL manipulations. Am I just living under a rock from visiting the same guy for a good 8 years?

Also, was it the Joe Rogan podcast? I'd love to have a listen!

4. secuono

secuono Senior Member

I can crack nearly everything on my own. So when something is bothering me, easy to fix it myself. Sure does help.
    Chiro isn't a cure-all, but does help with some things, so I approve.

5. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

I see a PT who can make you go from barely able to walk, to feeling fine and it's joint manipulation and myofascial release (sp).

Does it work, in my case certainly. All are not talented though imo.

They used to have some quacks that claimed other health benefits, seemed to be about thirty years ago. That's all I know.

6. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Here's the show link. It is really interesting, and I'm not even a science person.

Science Vs

NaeNae likes this.
  7. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

LOVE my chiro, and my horse's love their Chiro. well, out of the 5 i have my favorite, as do my horses.... april REALLY hates one of them, so i don't use him any longer, even though he was very thorough.

I have seen amazing results in myself, and my horses after an adjustment.

8. endurgirl

endurgirl Senior Member

I have personally "used" a chiro on myself one time. My SI jt was so bad i could hardly move, so i went to try a chiro. He was a true quack. He took x rays, they were clean. He put me on this massaging table, which did nothing, then wanted to put a TENS on me, i said i can do that at work. I told him i wanted manual work (manipulations) . He said he wasn't qualified to do that buti could make an appt with his wife. I promptly got up, told him i wouldn't be back, paid for that worthless service, and never went back. That next day i talked to one of my coworkers, he did some manipulations, and i was much better the next day.

I left dumbfounded, a chiro who didn't do manual work.

Ive also used one on my horses, did not see a radical change. So i really don't use chiro unless there's a really visible soreness or something that may warrant to try a chiro.

NaeNae likes this.
  9. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

I don't know...

One time I was getting dressed for work, putting my pants on. Suddenly I had this sharp pain in my ribs and could barely breathe, let alone stand upright. I went to the chiropractor, and he manually adjusted me, said I had a rib out. All I know is I felt 100% better after the adjustment, though I was muscle sore for a couple days. I iced and took ibuprofen for a couple days.

Is having a rib out a real thing? It hurt like the dickens and was a bit scary. I figured the chiro was cheaper than the ER. If chiro hadn't worked I'd have been at urgent care.

I've also had issues with my hands and arms falling asleep from time to time. Not just when I'm sleeping. I'll get a pins and needles sensation down one or both arms off and on, and it will worsen to the point of waking me up at night. A couple chiro sessions, and it goes away.

My guy does manual and uses that thumper machine. He also has a good plug in massager and a cold laser therapy light.

As for the horses, I've seen it make a visible difference in them, and I've watched their posture and body positions change. All my horses will lick and chew while they're being manipulated. I've had accupuncture done on them too, and the chiro made more difference.

I think ideally chiro and massage together would be a good thing, but I can rarely afford massage.

ginster and NaeNae like this.
  10. Pirate

Pirate Senior Member

Haven't been to a chiro, probably should have, but my physio has done good work.
    We took a very cranky Douce to see a "quack". He'd been doing horses for decades before it became fashionable. Poor horse she got flung in all directions, crack crack crack. Afterwards, she loved EVERYONE and travelled home without fussing. We made sure she got regular treatments after that on top of the massage she already got from me.

ginster likes this.