Chickens planning a revolution..

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Alsosusieq2, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

So, a farmer that dedicates his/her whole life to chickens doesn't care for their animals like you do on a hobby farm?

I have no issues with people raising their own food. I have my own chickens, buy beef locally, drink milk out of the bulk tank, and grow whatever I can in the garden.

But I have just as much trust in the food at the grocery store. Farmers are good people.

2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

They're not mean to us, they're vicious to each other. Yuck. Parents had a few that were kind of mean to people, Banty roosters. Idk if they're noted for that, but they terrorised my little brother and me. We'd have to get on top a car to get away.

I'd no idea it cost so much to feed them, it's been ages literally since I had them and I had an adaptable outdoor run for free grazing before anyone thought it fashionable.

I always think of them as lizards or lizard brain critters with feathers. I do get a kick out of the exotics. There's one from Vietnam that literally looks like a dinosaur-!!

*scary :eek2:

manesntails likes this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

Awhh, now that's adorable. Hmm.. change my mind on them a tad. Cute as all get out.. :love:

ginster and doublelranch like this.
  4. Alsosusieq2

Yep. That's my opinion too. I buy mine from aldi and they're super close to fresh. Deep yellow yolks etc, nice flavor. I can see supporting local folks though.

manesntails and Faster Horses like this.
  5. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

Even just touching the eggs you can feel a difference.
    Store bought eggs have a grainy texture on the outside since the wash strips the protective layer off of them. If you get a fresh egg it is smooth all the way around.
    Plus the store eggs are older since they go from farm to cleaning and packing then on a truck to whatever store bought them. If I want to boil eggs I get the store eggs since the older and egg the easier it is to boil it.

OldGreyMare likes this.
  6. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

I agree farm fresh eggs hard boiled will make you pull your hair out trying to peel them. If you cool them in water with baking soda in the fridge, they will peel just like older store bought.

7. doublelranch

Yes they are! Mean little boogers! They remind me of naughty ponies. The smaller the package, the bigger the attitude. But you can train a pony.:D

8. Faster Horses

My Instant Pot cooks fresh eggs perfectly.

My Instant Pot is amazing and does everything perfectly. :love:

doublelranch likes this.
  9. doublelranch

I have been thinking of getting one. I have heard nothing but great things about them.

Faster Horses likes this.
  10. Faster Horses

It is like a cult.

Dooooo iiiiiittttt....

My mother-in-law calls us "potheads." lol