Chickens planning a revolution..

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Alsosusieq2, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

It's just that at three dollars a dozen, they've a decent way to fund it. What's going on out there in chickie land, anyone know?

Sorry, first time shopping in a while and $3.00 a dozen kind of surprised me.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  2. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

I KNOW I KNOW!

Supply of chickens has finally dropped. Many producers stopped starting pullets when the prices were so low.

Prepare for all sorts of egg drama as the "cage free" movement works its way to the deadline.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  3. Alsosusieq2

Aggravated, figured it was something like that.. :)

4. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

Chickens planning a revolution makes me think of Chickens in Choppers

which of course leads me to this

Enjoy

CJ and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  5. Faster Horses

Faster Horses Senior Member

Also, the cage free issue does come into play here. Many companies have vowed to use only cage free eggs by 2025.

But what does "cage free" mean? It depends on what state you are in and where they are with their legislation.

A pullet raised in cages can't be thrown into a cage free environment. A pullet raised in a group of 9 can't be tossed into a group of 36. A pullet must start in the same type of group/environment that she will be in for laying in order to stay happy and healthy.

Because nobody was quite sure where the cage free thing was going, many farmers were hesitant to change/upgrade and get more pullets. Now that a few more details are nailed down, farmers are okay with starting more babies again.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  6. cschattner

cschattner Senior Member

Around my area a lot of people are starting to get into the backyard chickens so I am sure things will pick up again. Of course I am OK with it because when I do get back into chickens I can get the ones that are starting to lay for next to nothing since the backyard chicken hobbyists didn't realize how much work it is to take care of chickens. Especially in winter, good for me LOL.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

I have to say, I get rather annoyed at the militant "GMO and free range" tree huggers. I sell eggs, it isn't to get rich, but rather to share what my girls produce and I enjoy sharing them with others. I have had several people demand to know, are they all organically fed, do they free range, what do I give them if they get sick, is everything they are given GMO free, etc...*sigh*

My response is, either you want them or you don't, a few questions are fine but don't give me a ration of bs when I say no or explain why they don't free range...don't like it, grow your own.

8. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

I don't particularly care for the taste of eggs. Soft boiled so that the yolk is a little firm, but hasn't yet turned chalky yellow is the only way I like them.

I'd tather have Guineas. They free range, eat bugs, don't scratch up your garden and lay small, rich flavored eggs. Only trouble is, you need a dog that loves eggs to go find where they hid their eggs~!! I have one of those. And, you may not like the noise they make, but they don't make noise at night or crow and wake you in the morning.

joce and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  9. Alsosusieq2

Hilarious Ml :rofl:

10. OldGreyMare

OldGreyMare Senior Member

Today I am living by the adage....Ask for forgiveness after the deed is done...I went to a chicken swap meet in town...came home with 2 lavender Orpington pullets and a speckled Sussex pullet. They are afraid, look a bit sorry shape wise but I have them in one section of my stock trailer with fresh water and feed, hopefully they will settle in within a day or two.

Told husband were going to have to build a second, small coop for all these chickens. Not that I much mind that, love having chickens around. Both Mark and I don't care for store bought or other eggs, fresh farm eggs are so much tastier and the yolk is such a golden yellow color...can't help but smile.