Chevy Update

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by MzCarol, Mar 20, 2017.

1. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

I never posted back in February because I was feeling a bit down in the dumps over his performance. He was doing 'so' well, and then the pigs showed up at the arena where we practice and he just lost his mind and reverted back to the scardy cat horse I bought 6 years ago. They removed the pigs from the arena before the Feb show but Chevy didn't believe they were gone and was still spooking and going crazy. He's still not thrilled with that arena but it's the best we have until we build ours *sigh*.

When we went to the Jan show he was still crazy over the pigs. When Chevy gets crazy he doesn't focus very well at all, no matter what we do. It's just who he is and we work on it constantly.

So we go to that show and out of nowhere he decides to go in, turn around and drag Cali back out of the gate. He only did it in the one round and the other 2 were fine.

We get to the Feb show and he was a complete butt for all 3 rounds and he only placed in the flat because Cali worked him so hard he didn't have the energy to fight anymore. Chevy's really good at finding and exploiting loopholes in training/riding and he got his grips on that gate - BAH!

You can see the stink eye - that's how he was all morning.
    [​IMG]

We go to the venue on Friday's before a show to take him over the course and feel out his attitude. For this March show He was a complete angel about the gate on Friday but a complete butt about a few of the jumps. Cali spanked him pretty good and let him know she wasn't putting up with it - and then he was fine lol

OH! I'm not sure if they did this because of Chevy but you can see the fence line in the video that the observers stand behind. They'd moved that back and there was a panel at the gate that could actually be shut. HALLELUJAH!!!

So we get there Saturday morning and I'm getting a good vibe from him which makes me happy. With the option to close the panel at the ring entry I'm feeling a bit more calm. It's embarrassing to have the jerk horse :(

To put the odds in our favor, and since it's a schooling show, I walked Chevy into the arena a few feet so he wouldn't try to drag Cali out. He made a fussy step but Cali got on him and it went well.

The second time he went in he actually hip-checked the gate and was still going to try to come out of a closed gate!! We'd already decided that Cali would make her 2 runs back to back so we didn't have to deal with the gate again. Good call on our part.

This is how the show ended up for us :) and the video of his 3rd place go is below, too. Stinkerbutt actually managed to pull off Reserve! The ribbons are out of order. Warm up = 6. 1st go = 6. 2nd go = 3 and flat = 3.
    [​IMG]

And Cali went on to take Reserve with her own horse on Sunday in the 3ft jumpers :)

2. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Taken out of context it'd be confusing unless you knew of the BO's fiasco bringing in a few pigs to the stable. What a nightmare. Looks like he's heading in the right direction though. Congratulations-!! :)

3. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

Opps - I see how that could happen - glad many read the story about the pigs coming to the barn!!! We have one more show to get through and the house should be on the market soon so let's all cross fingers and say prayers it sells soon so I can call the guy to put up the arena before fall!!!

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  4. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

He looks good! This is hunters right?

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  5. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

@VermilionStrife Yes, this is hunters. I wouldn't classify Chevy as a hunter but this division had the height we needed for his first year of showing.

I don't know that he has the speed to do jumpers, and he's holding his own in hunters - so confusing and I'm still learning about all this stuff too! However, he has no problem jumping 2'3" so next season we'll move him up one way or the other.

and thank you :)

VermilionStrife and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  6. VermilionStrife

VermilionStrife Senior Member

Well, jumpers isn't always so much about speed as it is finding the right path, knowing the horse and how to get the most between fences. :)

I think he looks like a pretty decent hunter pony. His form over fences is nice, so it doesn't surprise me he is doing well!

7. MzCarol

MzCarol Senior Member

@VermilionStrife awwwww thank you!!!! He's definitely a looker and both he and Cali have worked very hard this season together. The video I posted has his striding looking so nice! He's had a lot to learn, my little ranch pony. He needs more overall confidence and less cowardly lion where he implodes emotionally.