Check Your Privilege

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mcdreamer, Dec 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mcdreamer

Mcdreamer Senior Member

It looks like we could all use some space to talk about privilege and what it means for people (or why you think it doesn't exist).

It would be nice if we could have a discussion about this instead of a screaming match so please try to be respectful.

What do you think it means when people say "check your white privilege" How do you experience race and gender privilege in your life?

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  2. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

What is it supposed to mean when someone has to check their privilege?

Should a white man back away from a job opportunity because an Indian man and a black man are also up for the same job? Should the employer take a few points away from the white guy because of his skin? Or do we simply have to be aware that we, as white people, have the world at our feet? Do we have to make a proclamation any time we do anything that involves another race and apologize for the color of our skin?

I genuinely don't understand why someone needs to be checked because of the way our DNA broadcasts different pigments?

mygirl1197, foxtrot, emali06 and 6 others like this.
  3. slc

slc Senior Member

Oh race privilge I see all the time. I live in a very nice, safe neighborhood, I have great fire and police service, great road maintenance, and this area is almost completely white. And as far as white male privilege, pretty much the whole time I worked in corporate America, I look out on a sea of white male faces.

We can do better. I did a paper for a class on STEM education and jobs for minorities and women; the picture was extremely clear. I applaud companies that are hiring with diversity in mind.

As for should I back away from a job because a black man and an Indian man also applied, that's not what this is about. This is about hiring people who are qualified, regardless of their skin color or gender. It's about supporting people once they are hired. It's about recognizing peoples' potential and giving them chances to excel.

4. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Unfortunately, many don't believe it or realize it. I think you'll see this in replies. ;)

ginster and Mcdreamer like this.
  5. slc

slc Senior Member

People are going to get very hot under the collar about this. This is a hot topic.

I've been in corporate America for many years. I saw what happens first hand. Resumes from qualified black and Hispanic people disappeared. They didn't get hired, despite stellar grades and excellent references and internships, despite answering questions brilliantly during phone screenings. They simply did not get hired. It didn't matter how good they were, they didn't get hired.

DunsNPallys, ginster and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  6. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

It happens all the time.

ginster likes this.
  7. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

An example of it where I used to live: the Cops look hard at two black men driving a vehicle during working hours down the highway, but do not if the men are white.
    The Cops are all white in that town.

DunsNPallys, ginster and Alsosusieq2 like this.
  8. slc

slc Senior Member

That's another common situation.

My husband rides around in the most decrepid jalopy in the entire universe - it looks like Wall-E after he got squashed - and never gets stopped. 'I can't understand it,' lol.

I was in the car with a black lady once when she got stopped. I was like.....whaaaat was thaaaat about? She said it happened often.

Alsosusieq2, manesntails and ginster like this.
  9. NaeNae

NaeNae Senior Member

This is all racism, yes.

But what exactly am I, a white person, supposed to do to “check my privilege”?

Why must I walk around feeling sheepish for the color of my skin?

What exactly is meant by me needing to “check my privilege”?

10. slc

slc Senior Member

No one asks you to do that as a matter of course.

No one asked you to do that here, either. You came and joined the thread, and said a lot of offensive, angry and excessively defensive things, and still, no one asked you to check your privilege.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.