Cheap Horse Show Hacks

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by spec, Apr 5, 2018.

1. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

What is "affordable" for a mixed color from your friend?

Mule.girl likes this.
  2. Mule.girl

Mule.girl Senior Member

@Circle C Do tell? Does she have a Facebook page or a website?

3. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

Mule.girl and tlwidener like this.
  4. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

you would have to contact her for a quote. Details above^

5. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Hair Suppliers:
    Home Page (my usual)
    Home Page - Mane and Tail Horse Hair for sale, Horsehair, Mane Horse Hair, Mohair Cinch Cord, Buckaroo Gear, Mecates, Cowboy and Western Music and Books

Just need a hot glue gun, Hose Clamp, shoestring and electrical tape.

slide hose clamp on, take the strings off the top 2 inches. stick the tip of the glue gun into the end of the tail all over, and saturate with glue. when it appears all hairs are glued, and before it dries, slide hose clamp up to just below the glue and tighten. I then dip my hand in cold water, and squeeze the glued end tightly, to keep it small. Once dried, remove the hose clamp. Slide shoestring through the center just below the glue, up towards the top and cover entire top with electrical tape.

your tail is done.

IF you want to add weights, the easiest way to do it is before you make it. I'll add a long screw to the middle of the tail before I start adding the glue. you can google search for tail weights, but here is an example of the setup I use.
    1lb Weights for TAIL EXTENSION by KATHY'S TAILS Made in USA. | eBay

spec, kodemiester and Dream27 like this.
  6. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

^^ Mine isn't the prettiest, but it's very functional. I did add weights after the fact....mine are removable and are on a giant screw that we drilled down through the middle (much easier to do if you built the tail around it!). Way way way cheaper than a custom grey in the middle, light sorrel on the outside tail!!

spec likes this.
  7. kodemiester

kodemiester Senior Member

I made my tail the way Lopinslow said above. My gelding has a very normal "dark chestnut" tail, but it saved me quite a bit of money. Only thing I would change is to use a DARK shoe string because I used white and well, that stands out a lot easier. :p The other thing that I did IMO wrong, is leave too much shoe string at the top to tie on.. would like it to be shorter. I can take a pic of the tail later tonight if anyone is interested in how mine turned out.. even though its 5 years +/- old it is still nice.

Also now debating making a forelock extension .. @Lopinslow, have you made any forelock extensions using the "mane hair" that the website that you buy the hair from has?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    spec likes this.
  8. RusticR

RusticR Full Member

Now I want to try and make a tail extension!

I’ve made my own forelock extension. Basically just like lopinslow described but I just cut the mane off one of the non-show horses for my hair, just didn’t attach any strings. Left it knob end then banded it into the forelock.

spec and Dream27 like this.
  9. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

Yup, that's how you do a forelock

kodemiester and spec like this.
  10. spec

spec Full Member

@Lopinslow you are genius! Doesn’t sound as hard as I imagined. Buying hair tonight. :D