Cheap Horse Show Hacks

Discussion in 'Equestrian Events, Shows, Competitions' started by spec, Apr 5, 2018.

1. spec

spec Full Member

Common gripe: everything with "horse" on the label is 3x more expensive than the same thing made for normal people. I'm a DIYer at heart so I am always looking for ways I could make things instead of buying it.
    Not really a hack per say, but I was tired of wearing "cheap" show clothes since I couldn't afford the nice things, I so got sewing lessons and have started making my own! I am currently finishing up applique work on a vest and want to make a bolero next :rolleyes: I have also been making/fixing my own hay bags for a while since my horses enjoy destroying them, no matter how much money I spend on themo_O they're literally the easiest thing to sew ever, you can find a pattern on SuitAbility.
    I know a person who makes her own tail extensions. Orders the hair from some store in China and does it herself. I'd love to learn how but I feel like I would screw it up.
    Anyone else have things they DIY? Please share to save us all some $$ :D

Larkspade and Cynical25 like this.
  2. mooselady

mooselady Senior Member

I have discovered that I have little talent in the ‘hacking’ department, I have a glue gun, and sparkly things, but the results are often less than impressive.

My favourite hack is to join Facebook groups and buy nice stuff for cheap.

My favourite shirt $30 used, and brand new denim boot cut breeches $79 greatly reduced as seconds!

AD40C778-4136-4E02-8A74-AF3A1B0F2E7D.jpeg

3. Mule.girl

Mule.girl Senior Member

The horse hair thing I donot think would be as hard as you think but if it is not real hair as a lot of wigs for people are not, you would not want to try to flat iron it or heat blow dry it as it would melt, do not ask how I know. :cautious::rofl:

I use Vaseline for highlighting for halter class, I buy the ethnic hair olive oil spray for a show sheen, I use cattle white show spray instead of the horse white show spray its 3.00 cheaper, I use the blueing shampoos from Walmart for blondes or grey hair instead of the horse kind. I try to never buy at farm store and instead order when their are deals sales etc. Im sure I will be adding to this as I think of it.

spec likes this.
  4. Dream27

Dream27 Senior Member

Making your own fake tail is super easy. @Lopinslow showed me how. Probably saved me $200 from having a custom tail made since my horse's tail is super odd colors (grey and light sorrel). I think there are several threads on similar DIY things floating around.

kodemiester and spec like this.
  5. spec

spec Full Member

Love those colors!!! I'm also on every Facebook group imaginable and have found some gems! Probably saved myself $500 (compared to buying new) just from buying my hat and chaps off facebook.
    I also forgot one! I always keep an eye out for Banana Republic or Express button down shirts at second-hand stores, Poshmark and eBay. In my opinion, they're better quality than the cheap button downs available at the "horse show" stores! :)

mooselady likes this.
  6. spec

spec Full Member

One of my biggest fears is having a tail extension fall out in a class. I guess I just don't trust my craftsmanship! Lol! But would totally be open to learning!! My mare is tail-blessed so I don't have/need an extension, but if I could DIY one for less than $100 I would totally start using one on her.. I love the look of a full tail!

mooselady likes this.
  7. Lopinslow

Lopinslow Senior Member

For a standard color (black, sorrel, etc) a pound of hair will only run you around $60. the rest of the needed materials you may even have laying around!

spec likes this.
  8. tlwidener

tlwidener Senior Member

Do tell! I think it will cost a small fortune to get the right tail for Lucy. Bay leopard with black legs, but her tail is whitish grayish blackish. A black tail looks ridiculous!

spec likes this.
  9. jojozwiebel

jojozwiebel Full Member

I'm interested in the fake tail deal :whistle:

10. Circle C

Circle C Senior Member

I have a friend that sells tails at very affordable prices so... no need to make them lol