Charm and Me 2019

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Bakkir, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

2019 started off very slow. Just continuing to ride in the arena, working on going forward and balance etc.

But today was different. We went on our first trail ride of the year. :cheerleader::woot:

It was cold (-12) and snowing, but we went out anyway. And boy was it a great ride.

I am so so so pleased with Charm. She didn't put a single foot wrong during our ride. Almost 2 hrs and she was awesome.

Here are a couple of pictures.

Carolyn Nighswander

The grey so far behind us is a 3.5 yr ottb that was racing in November. She has the best brain. Happy to plod along and not at all worried about catching up to the two ponies, lol.

It was exactly what I needed. It felt so good to actually be riding the way I want to. This is what I bought Charm for, and I am so proud of my little girl.:heartbeat:

The horse in the lead is a beautiful bay morgan mare, that is about the same size as Charm. All 3 girls are turned out together.

2. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Cool. It's very natural for a horse to ride trail. They have been doing that, being out in nature, with a herd since they were created. I think it's more fun than anything other than racing. :D

Alsosusieq2 and Bakkir like this.
  3. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Thank you manes.

Trail riding in the woods is what I dream about. I don't care if she learns anything else. I want her to enjoy our rides. And she really seems too. She gets all doe eyed and soft with me afterwards.

I just really love this little mare.

4. stardozer

stardozer Senior Member+

I added you on Facebook hope it’s okay.

Alsosusieq2 and Bakkir like this.
  5. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Sure. I think I accepted it. I am not good with FB, lol.

Alsosusieq2 and stardozer like this.
  6. stardozer

stardozer Senior Member+

I think you did.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  7. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Finally made it out to the barn today. My horse let me know she was not happy that I have been MIA for two weeks. But once she got a good grooming, she was much happier. Poor neglected little pony was extra filthy. So much so that I had to brush all the mud off her blanket before I could take it off her.

She was such a good girl being ridden that I decided to try something totally new to both of us. Bareback riding!

Even though I have owned several different horses, somehow I have never even tried to ride bareback before today.

Charm was unsure at first. But she was so very careful with me. She really does NOT want me to fall, lol.

I may do this more often, as I felt a great stretch through my lower back with my legs hanging evenly. And it was so nice and warm, lol.

Sucks that we are going to have heavy rain for the next two days. Sigh, I just can't wait for spring to come.

Larkspade, Alsosusieq2 and ~tiffy~ like this.
  8. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Today was a low key visit. Lots of grooming and carrots and love.

Charm got to play in the arena with another Arab (gelding) and a TB (mare). I have a short video, but need to figure out how to edit it. The difference between the Arabs is hilarious.

I was amazed that all 3 of them rolled at the same time. It was so nice to see Charm relaxed and happy to play.

She has been stressed out by her herd changing so much. Her BFF Clydesdale was sold and 4 new horses in the field in last 2 months. 3 of those have already moved on. Plus a few people have been interviewing part boarders, so lots of new people.

I swear Charm "knows" when another horse is being sold. She gets so worried and stressed. I wish I could make her understand how "NOT FOR SALE" she truly is.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  9. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Here are the best screen shots I could get from the video. I managed to take part of it upside down.

Carolyn Nighswander

The big black gelding is a Straight Egyptian Arabian. Very different from Charms Polish breeding and looks.

The other grey is an OTTB. Just a baby really at 3.5 years old.

Alsosusieq2 likes this.
  10. Alsosusieq2

Alsosusieq2 Senior Member

Beauties all.

Bakkir likes this.