Character and or personality change ...

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Nu5ha, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Nu5ha

Nu5ha Senior Member

Has anyone ever had their horses personality or character change literally over night?

Not sure how to explain this or even if I'm asking correctly but here goes.
    Pony super little thing. You can do anything to or around him. He's the type who likes people and shows it or hates them and shows it. With me he's always very kind and forgiving. I can pretty much do anything with him. Even my vet said how easy he is and how he allows her to do pretty much anything.
    Then yesterday he didn't allow me to touch his face (usually he loves when I give him a rub between his eyes) and was just very very head shy (not him at all). I thought ok strange but he just had his flu vaccine so I left him be. Same thing again today.
    I of course asked the grooms if anything happened, nothing happened so I've been told. It's basically an over night thing. He is fine when I go to put his halter on, or rub his neck or anywhere else on his body just not his face, and that's his fav spot to be rubbed.
    Anyone else had a horse do the same type of thing?

2. Bakkir

Bakkir Senior Member

Abrupt changed in behavior are usually pain related. Safe to assume something happened that was unpleasant. I would just work with him to regain his trust.

I have seen 2 horses "turn" on people over night. It turned out to be uveitis for one horse and ulcers for the other.

3. aFlamingAngel

aFlamingAngel Senior Member

I agree with the above poster, however have the vet look at him next time he is out. something could be up with your horse, tumor, ear infection, etc. You never know.

4. manesntails

manesntails Senior Member

Probably he isn't feeling quite right from the shots orrrrr, some other horse could have whacked him in the nose, not enough for it to swell noticeably but enough he is a little tender. Leave his nose be for a few days and see how he is then.

Varisha and prairiesongks like this.
  5. prairiesongks

prairiesongks Senior Member

Have you taken TPR to make sure they are within his normal range? Vaccinations can cause reactions and some horses to be off for a few days.

manesntails and VermilionStrife like this.
  6. Nu5ha

Nu5ha Senior Member

Unfortunately he doesn't play well with any horse (apart from two) in the paddocks so he goes out on his own. No way he could have gotten whacked. And it's not just nose it's all over his face. He's ok with his ears and neck and so on but just not face, he just flings his head up and tries to bite and he has never done anything like that he's a very snugly bug

7. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

Agree with everyone. Likely pain related. Could be as simple as he knocked his forehead on something or much more complicated (ulcers, brain tumor, etc). Let's hope he's just feeling a little sore from the vax!

manesntails likes this.
  8. Nu5ha

Nu5ha Senior Member

Yes all is normal totally normal. He's eating,drink all the other stuff just not letting me or anyone else anywhere near his face ears he's fine with and rest of his body also.

9. ChestersMomma

ChestersMomma Senior Moderator Staff Member

Maybe he was getting frisky out in the turnout and pulled a muscle or something? If it's in his neck or around his face, it could hurt to put any pressure on the head in a downward/inward motion toward the neck but not the motion of stroking the cheek.

And just because he is out alone does not mean there is no chance he got whacked. He could've whacked it on a fence, shelter, tree etc.

manesntails likes this.
  10. Nu5ha

Nu5ha Senior Member

I will see tomorrow if he is the same if he is I will try to video it maybe someone has an idea. Don't want to call the vet right now and her think I'm a crazy over reactive horse owner