1. JOIN the world's largest horse forum! Chat and learn from other experts about horse training, breeding, health, showing, riding, contests and use our free horse classifieds. Register Here

? Champion Turf Show Saddles?

Discussion in 'Tack & Equipment' started by Quick2Skip01, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Quick2Skip01

Quick2Skip01 Senior Member+

Since Im not getting any more responses in my thread regarding Big Horns, I will be a pain and start a new one. :p

Ive come across a few Champion Turf show saddles in my hunt as well.

They look to be high quality and I am just wondering if anyone has heard of these, ridden in, or seen any in person?

Thanks in advance. :)

2. AQHA Hunter

AQHA Hunter Senior Member+

If they're the same as the Champion brand a friend of mine used to have, they're very nice. I'd say similar to Dale Chavez, or maybe a little better.

3. AllAroundRdr

AllAroundRdr Senior Member+

I think the Champion Turf's, even current models are better quality than Dale Chavez's which IMO are getting too 'mass produced' and losing quality in leather and craftsmanship.

Another saddle you can look into is "Mary's Custom Saddles" I have an old reining saddle that she actually made (she did the tooling, silver engraving EVERYTHING) now she's diabetic and has lost 75% of her eyesight so she no longer makes the saddles. The guy she has doing them does a VERY nice job (IMO superior to Chavez AND Champion, along the lines of Blue Ribbon, Harris, & Bob's) but they're getting harder to find.

Quick2Skip01 likes this.
  4. Quick2Skip01

Quick2Skip01 Senior Member+

Thanks you guys. I found a Champion Turf for a really nice price, however I am having difficulites getting better pictures off it. It appears fine, but the picture it is on an angle, and when I requested more pictures she sent the pic from the ad and one from the seat. D:

5. Ridehorses99

Ridehorses99 Full Member

I had a Champion Turf Reiner that was very comfortable - much more comfortable that a Dale Chavez I also bought. CT saddles have a narrow twist, which is great for women or smaller men. Was very impressed with the quality. I really can't say anything negative about it.

6. Tack Collector

Tack Collector Senior Member

I used to have a 16" Champion Turf but the 16" seat is really huge. Their show saddles run big. It was like a 17 or 17.5" in any other brand. It was a gorgeous saddle but a 14" in that line would have been plenty.

Gorgeous saddle, though. (I would not trade my light oil Broken Horn for it, by any means.) The tooling was very good to excellent. The leather was a little thinner than I'd like but very nice quality. The silver was silver plated with no coating. It looked like real sterling. The ebay dealer I bought that saddle from said most people don't buy the sterling in that line b/c the silverplate looks so good. I imagine if you kept the saddle in the house away from dampness and kept it in a case, the plate would hold up quite a long time.

Champion Turf would customize to make you a unique saddle. You could start with a stock model and add or delete silver trim, as you preferred. I can't recll, but I thing they used Steele Equifit trees back in 2003-2004.

Edit: Oh my, this might be the exact saddle I used to own. Mine had this heart silver on it. See how flat the seat is? That's why it rides bigger.
    http://www.horseweb.com/horses/classifieds/ads/60666_1.htm
    [​IMG]

My previous statement about this big flat-seated saddle:

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009